Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Fridge Not Staying Cold

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

... what would be the best place to buy replacement parts? 

notice top of each of these pages:

Appliantology Parts Search Box
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

http://www.repaircli...=&Search=Search

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

#22 educatedguess417

educatedguess417

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fat Tire

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks, everyone.  How do I find a good independent service tech?  Most of the Yelp reviews for this area are very poor for all of them.  I've had bad luck with Craigslist people in the past.

Does anyone reading this thread know of a good tech in the SFV area of Los Angeles?

#23 educatedguess417

educatedguess417

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Okay, folks, here’s the latest on this one:

This morning the freezer was at -12 F and the fridge was close to 50 F, while the house is about 75.

I have determined that the all the major components are working, or the freezer wouldn’t be that cold.

I removed the panel that holds the two temperature controls, one each for the freezer and the fridge.  On the right is the dampener arm connected to the freezer control.  The arm is not broken, as far as I can tell, and moves back and forth freely with the turning of the dial.  On the left is the temp control dial for the fridge.  This does not have a dampener arm attached to it, but instead is connected to a bunch of wires and relays.  It also turns freely, and I can hear a “click” when it turns the temp off and on.

I did have one question that puzzles me: Excuse my ignorance, but shouldn’t the dampener arm being going to the fridge dial, not the freezer dial?  Did someone put this together wrong?  From a layman’s point of view, wouldn’t you want a lever to regular a dampener that controls how much air flows into the fridge from the freezer?   I’m sure I’m wrong about this, but it puzzles me.

Further stuff.  I dragged the fridge out and removed the cardboard panel at the bottom.  The fan down there is blowing just fine (I assume this works like a radiator fan, cooling the components and aiding in cooling the fridge).  There is very little dirt or dust down there.  The rest of the fridge back is taken up by a solid aluminum panel that is riveted in place.  I see no way to remove this.  Therefore, if there is any checking of blockages or ice buildup, it would probably have to be done from the front, through the fridge door, not the back of the unit.

There is very little evidence of frost or ice buildup either in the freezer or fridge compartment.

At this point, I’m stumped.  Something is blocking the flow of air from freezer to fridge, but I don’t know what.  Any more ideas?

If not, I think at this point I need a professional tech for this job.  Any idea how to find a good one?  I’m going to cancel Sears, but don’t know how to find a good fridge tech.  I’ve had bad luck with Craigslist in the past on other repairs.

Appreciate any comments.  Thank you so much.

#24 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

... On the right is the dampener arm connected to the freezer control.  The arm is not broken

... On the left is the temp control dial for the fridge. 

1) Does it open and close a Damper ?

2) Fridge temperature controls the Compressor (yours is always running) ?

Freezer control Damper determines what percent stays in the Freezer

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#25 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

I know its confusing but the damper is the freezer knob that lets cold air from freezer to cool refrigerator.Thats why you see that long plastic lever and when you turn knob it opens and closes damper. I Know that freezer knob can be misleading for the damper too.It may say cold and closest on knob but it may mean coolest for freezer.Kind of backwards thinking i know.Were i am am going with this is i think that model has a line on both knobs and that is a normal setting.if you have the freezer knob in wrong setting you could be closing off some air flow to refrigerator.The other knob that shuts the refrigerator off is the thermostat.If you still have your manual you may want to look at it.Know saying all this i think you may have ice in the air vents in freezer from a clog drain.You have to take back panel off for that.i don't see any reason why can not do this your self.Shut power off and take back panel off and you might have to take bottom freezer floor out first.Sounds worse then it is.Good luck.

Edited by bigbuck, 17 July 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#26 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just move the lever all the way one way when the compressors running and then all the way the other way and figure out which way lets more air into your fridge. If neither way lets more or less air in and nothings broken then you have blockage somewhere above that in the freezer. 

Which way lets more air in?

Edited by tpoindexter, 17 July 2013 - 09:01 PM.

Test

#27 educatedguess417

educatedguess417

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Poin: As an experiment, I've set the freezer level dampener at 2 out of 5, and am gonna watch it for 24 hours to see if this changes the temp in the fridge.  If not, I suspect what others have been telling me: that there is ice blocking the passage, and then I will look into getting in there and clearing it out.  I know this can be fixed, since the freezer is so cold.  It's an airflow problem.  We just have to figure out what's blocking the flow into the lower fridge area.  I'm suspecting ice now.  Thanks!

#28 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

I'm confused... I thought that the cold control(what turns on compressor and fan) is the refrig control. The damper is the freezer control. When you turn the freezer control to coldest setting you are in fact allowing less air into the refrig section. So if your are at -10 in the freezer turn the freezer control (aka damper) to warmest and allow more cold air to the refrig. Really these controls are are slightly mislabeled. Some older refrigerators described their function more accurately by calling the refrig control the temp control and the freezer setting "air balance" it is still possible you have an air restriction due to ice build up or incomplete defrost but it is important to understand the settings first

#29 educatedguess417

educatedguess417

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

JJ Surfer, thanks for the clarification.

Folks: I found what appears to be a good fridge tech.  He'll be coming out this Monday morning to look at the unit.  At this point, I wanted to have someone more knowledgeable come in and help me figure this out.  I'm pretty sure that ice is probably blocking the airflow, but I want to find out what causes this so it can be fixed.  Yes, I can unplug and defrost the ice over several days, but if the underlying condition is not fixed, it will happen again.  I will report back next week once the tech has come and gone.

Thanks to everyone in this Forum!

#30 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Thanks! And let us know what they find too! Nothing worse than an unsolved mystery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics