Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Older Amana vs Newer Whirlpool Fridge - which would you choose?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pgtr

pgtr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

We are combining households and need to select between 2 refrigerators:

Amana: SCD22TBW, white, side by side, purchased new ~1999, energy959kWh/yr

Whirlpool: ED5PVEXWS02, stainless, side by side, purchased new ~2009, 577kWh/yr

Aesthetically and design wise I prefer the Amana. I'm not much for stainless. THe Amana's overall interior seems better designed and made. Shelves and so forth don't seem so cheap. One of the Whirlpools door shelves broke already. Amana has a simple water/ice dispenser and no filter (we have great water). The WP has far too many options for water/ice and a filter that I don't feel we need (maybe I can bypass?). I did have to replace some sensor and maybe a tstat or switch in the Amana's freezer years ago, the cams on the door hinges and tweaked the door seals/adjustments. (all w/ help from this forum!)

But the choice does seem somewhat obvious - just thought I'd get a sanity check here...?

thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Amana: SCD22TBW, white, side by side, purchased new ~1999, energy959kWh/yr
Whirlpool: ED5PVEXWS02, stainless, side by side, purchased new ~2009, 577kWh/yr

just for the record:
at .10 / Kwh rate
1) 959 Kwh = $ 96 or $ 8.00 per month
2) 577 Kwh = $ 56 or $ 4.67 per month

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,565 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Tough decision.... if the amana was manufactured by Whirlpool in 1999, I would say the Amana. Best case scenario, you would get 30 years service out of a 1999 fridge compared to 10 years for 2009 model.

Two approaches,

the first approach I heard about for many years but only until recently did I truly understand it.If it applies in your situation, Keep your wife happy. You certainly don't want to live with either 6 or 16 (depending on which fridge is yours) years of " I told you so's". It ain't worth it.

The second approach is based on logic. If you become an apprentice you would have access to the 40 Watt Club forum and be privy to a class entitled "Logic 101. " Applying the logic found in that post you would keep them both.
Maybe one as a garage fridge or somehow available as a backup. This would also solve the problem explained in the first approach. If this is impractical, then going back to the first approach and if applicable, let her make the decision.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 pgtr

pgtr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Tough decision.... if the amana was manufactured by Whirlpool in 1999, I would say the Amana. Best case scenario, you would get 30 years service out of a 1999 fridge compared to 10 years for 2009 model.

According to wikipedia re Amana: "In 1997 the company was purchased by Goodman Global (from Raytheon), a heating-and-cooling manufacturer who sold it to Maytag (now part of Whirlpool) in 2002." So that would make our 1999 Amana fridge pre Maytag and pre Whirlpool.

So just curious why would you recommend an earlier Whirlpool made Amana over a contemporary Whirpool refrigerator?

What about our particular Amana from the early Goodman/Global era vs a contemporary Whirlpool?:

Basically we both agree that the Whirlpool has more comtemporary looks on the outside but inside it comes across as 'cheaper'. It is of course only 4 years old vs 14 - that's a 10 year advantage over the Amana! The Amana did have a few problems which I fixed about 10 or so years ago. 

Thanks for your response - great 'logic'!

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,565 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

I would generally recommend a pre-energy star era fridge over post-energy star, but not in all cases. Many would agree that Whirlpool, during the pre-energy star period, made superior products.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

I agree.  You've got two great refrigerators.  That model Amana was one of the last true Amana side by sides.  A real workhorse and definitely a keeper.  But that model Whirlpool is a goodie also.  Mechanical cold control and defrost timer.  Probably the only trouble the Whirlpool will give you would be a bad cold control or compressor relay.  Also a keeper.  I'd keep the Amana in the garage and put the Whirlpool in the kitchen.  May fortune continue to smile on you, my friend.

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Put the one in the the kitchen that makes the wife happy, but don't throw the other away. Put it in the Man Cave, or as I have a Tiki Bar away from the house and kids. Keeps us both happy.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics