Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Icemaker

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ApplianceDoctor

ApplianceDoctor

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

I have a Crosley refrigerator customer said it wasn't making ice. I went twice and cycled the icemaker every time the unit would put water in. When I would leave several days later they would call back and say it was not makeing ice. I have replace icemaker and water valve and still having same problem. Freezer temp. seems low enough to make ice. Can anyone help me?

Appliance Doctor

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Is there water in ice maker now waiting to dump.

#3 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

I have a Crosley refrigerator customer said it wasn't making ice. I went twice and cycled the icemaker every time the unit would put water in. When I would leave several days later they would call back and say it was not makeing ice. I have replace icemaker and water valve and still having same problem. Freezer temp. seems low enough to make ice. Can anyone help me?

Appliance Doctor

May have too make sure temperature is cold enough to make ice.Maybe check frost pattern or temp.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Freezer needs to be +15F or colder to "harvest" the Cubes

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

if that is a whirpool modular ice maker, did you replace the entire ice maker or just the motor/head?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 ApplianceDoctor

ApplianceDoctor

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

I replaced entire icemaker. Also every time I would cycle old icemaker unit would put water in mold every time. That is why I put new complete icemaker in refrigerator. After installing new icemaker next day customer calls back and says unit is not making ice. I go to house and cycle new icemaker that time icemaker energizes valve but water does not come in. Check valve and found fill tube to be frozen up which tells me that valve is bad. I deiced fill tube replaced water valve cycled icemaker and water came in OK. This was yesterday. I also checked temp. of freezer and temp. was showing to be 8 degrees F. Customer called back this morning and said unit was not making ice.

Appliance Doctor

#7 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

I guess this is a whirlpool icemaker?Are the water valve and icemaker FSP parts?

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

I guess this is a whirlpool icemaker?Are the water valve and icemaker FSP parts?

Excellent question....had a repair where the customer installed a whirlpool modular ice maker and could not get it to work.  When I looked at it the ice mold was silver instead of the usual copper color. The customer said he got it from amazon.  Replaced it with a an fsp ice maker and it worked ..no problem.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

If the incoming water pressure is too low, the Water Valve may not completely close (yes)

Is there any external water filter OR reverse osmosis filter system ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

If the incoming water pressure is too low, the Water Valve may not completely close (yes)

Is there any external water filter OR reverse osmosis filter system ?

Man!, I always forget that osmosis filter thing...may have to try something drastic to aid my failing memory..

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Most of the Crosley refrigerators are made by Frigidaire, (maybe Whirlpool now but all the Crosley's I've ever seen are Frigidaires's).

Every Frigidaire icemaker I've seen have been the older style mircoswitch cam operated models not the modular heads like Whirlpool.

No model# supplied so no way to know for sure!!!

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

I posted about an ice maker replacement I did a few weeks ago.     It was an FSP icemaker that came from my local supplier who gets her parts from 1st Source Seville.   It would not freeze the water in the ice maker.   Put the old ice maker back in & it makes plenty of ice.  Original complaint was that ice maker leaks from modular head.   After putting old back in, the ice maker is satisfying the customer, I think because I refunded total cost of repair.

Never figured out why new ice maker never froze.  Sat in refrigerator for 4days before I took it out.  Used old wire harness for ice maker.   Uniy went thru harvest cycle when initiated & ice was partially frozen.    Only thing I could think of is heater is constantly on.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Does the icemaker produce any ice, even if it's only one harvest of eight cubes?  If so it could be the shut off arm binding before completely coming to rest after harvest.  Had some Whirlpool top mounts with this problem.  Turned out to be a frost issue, whether related to air flow or defrost thermostat issues I can't remember.

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Does the icemaker produce any ice, even if it's only one harvest of eight cubes?  If so it could be the shut off arm binding before completely coming to rest after harvest.  Had some Whirlpool top mounts with this problem.  Turned out to be a frost issue, whether related to air flow or defrost thermostat issues I can't remember.

just had the binding problem you mentioned with a new oem icemaker on a whirlpool sxs.. first time I've seen it on a new wp icemaker.

#15 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Haven't seen it on Wpl SxS's (yet).  On Frigidaire SxS's yes, constantly.  The afore mentioned frost/binding was addressed by the air tower kit that had a heater for the inside of the air tower and sealing strips for the evaporator cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics