Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch / Siemens UltraSense plus Electric Dryer, Model WTXD8300US

noise when it is going around belt?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed dark

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hi!  Dryer is working, but started making sound as it is going around, sounds sort of like a belt on a car, when it is going bad, but not sure that's it.  Where do I begin?  Thank you from the bottom of my samurai-loving heart.   Rebecca

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Also, I can't seem to find the manual, is that something I can download here?  :)

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm not a Bosch master (maybe someone else), but here's the service manual

http://appliantology...raining-manual/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thanks!  It actually sounds more like a metal on metal sound, but not grinding, more like a metal 'slipping' against metal, if that makes sense..  I can see from this manual how to take it apart, but can anyone recommend what I should do first, after that?

#5 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

Question for samurai or one of his minions:  Is there any way to know if it's okay for me to keep using the dryer?  It is heating up etc but probably not a good idea, I know .... if it's the belt, and it breaks, then it just stops working, but if it's something else I figure I can ruin it worse if I keep using it.  I need to just go hang a clothesline -- if it would stop raining (14 days and counting, the ground is seriously squishy)

#6 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Could I pay someone to have a listen?  I could record it and send the file. I bet someone woudl know exactly what the problem is, just hearing this noise.  I might need to call a repairperson but they are hard to find for this dryer.  I fixed the washer myself (stupid pump, got the part from you all, worked great was just a pain taking it all apart).  I could figure this out but don't have days to spend zeroing in on it, am in Asheville NC, do you guys know anyone here?  Thank you!!! 

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Post a video to YouTube then give a link,
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#8 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EjpwEUbFpEY

This is the link to the video of the sounds our dryer is making. Thank you!!

#9 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

If you disassemble the top and front panel, you will probably find something stuck in the felt seals at the front front of the the tub our see wear on the seals and/or glides.

Best to repalce the front drum bulkhead I do believe.

http://www.repaircli.../241091/1103598
"Suds are not good"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

... Best to repalce the front drum bulkhead I do believe.

would that make the "sounds more like a metal on metal sound" ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

If there's something metal stuck in the felt rubbing against the drum. I've seen a dime causing that same sound on a Bosch dryer before. It could be something else, but from the sound I heard and prior experience is all I'm going by.
"Suds are not good"

#12 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

You guys are so helpful, thank you!  I will take it apart and see what I can see.  My husband tends to leave change in his pockets,  it's easy to miss dimes -- are you saying something can slide down in there?  It happened all of a sudden, it seems like wear on a part would show up and get worse?  Can it get into the machine via the lint filter opening, I wonder?

#13 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'm not trying to say that for sure that's the problem, just letting you know that it's happened before. I'm also not saying to just order any parts, merely saying that when I've heard noises like that before it's been associated with the front drum bulkheads on the Bosch dryers. But it is easy enough to access that area to check for loose items that don't belong. Or for any wear, a sound like that will most likely be leaving some type of markings behind that will guide you in the right direction. If you look at the picture of the the part I linked to you'll notice a grey felt seal going around it. That's wear change seams to get caught, in between that seal and the drum along the front.
"Suds are not good"

#14 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Now that you have stated the 'dime theory', that is what I hear ... hm.... :rolleyes:

That will be so funny, if you turn out to be right, to the penny :woot:

Especially if I can find that sucker without wrecking the felt (is this possible, do you think?) and having to get the new bulkead part at 150 bucks.  It really does sound like it's coming from there.

Question:  I have the control panel/fascia unscrewed and carefully laying to the side.

I can see how the six tabs fit into the washer, and that I need to lift that up to remove it.

The manual says to remove the belt first, before I slide the front panel off (under "Hints" ("to remove the tensino").

That is a whole 'nother ball of wax :yucky: (pull it out, take the back off, in order to remove belt, major effort, ugh).

Do I HAVE to take the belt off to access the front bulkhead?  If I need to I will, but am wondering why.

Can I break something if I don't remove the belt first, before I take the front panel off, or is that step more so I can manipulate the drum around more, to do whatever repairs the manual might think could be needed.  If I'm careful, etc., can I skip that step(s) (removing the belt).

Being cautious :rolleyes:   Thank you!  I will be a hero if I can fix this. 

#15 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Can't proceed without someone walking me through this a little more.  Front panel seems ready to come off, but don't want to break anything.  Door is off.  Right side does not seem to want to come "up and off", I gave up (don't want to make things worse).  Anybody use Ask.com here?  Need someone who can hang in there with me, I have dryer partly apart but don't have enough knowledge to proceed and manual is confusing to ordinary consumer.  Ask.com wants 30 bucks, looks like they have a certified tech available, that is usually what I pay to beer fund (have new username here because old email address is defunct but have used before, with great success, on fridge and dishwasher).  but this time I'm stuck. 

Don't think I need to take belt off, but am afraid to force front panel off without someone telling me it's okay to use a little force.  Both screws are out (on right, under hinge - took door off -- and on left, under little white plastic cover).  Left side seems to want to come "up and out".  right side is tough, may need more force, am worried there is something else I need to do first?  Maybe not.  Then, once that is off, what is the best way to look for the dime/get it out, or will it be obvious once front panel is off?  I guess these sound like dumb questions, but have no experience in this. 

#16 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

I  posted a topic w/YouTube link to sound dryer is making when it spins, a fellow very helpfully responded, sounds like a dime stuck in the felt.  Excellent!  Really does sound like that.  So helpful!!  Problem is, suggestion was to take off front panel, that it's easy to access that area.  Link to technical manual, so far so good.  Thank you!  But now, front panel won't seem to come off, I think I might see seems to be a screw somewhere near bottom of front panel I can't get to, but maybe it's just those plastic thingies being stubborn.  Dryer is apart, laundry everywhere, is now the next day and am stuck.  I went searching (I know you guys are busy) and found a post by Samurai that said he "pities the fool" that has to take off the front panel of Bosch dryers because you do have to take off the entire back to get the front off (the manual *seemed* to be saying that but not clear, the tech manuals assume you know what you are doing a little bit).  So don't know what to do now.  It really seems like there is just one screw holding it on, on the bottom right, and that if I could just get the panel off, I could find the dime (suspected) stuck in the felt.  PLEASE HELP!  Am wondering if its time to put it back together and call somebody, except we have trouble finding someone who works on these in our area.  Wah!

(second video, partially disassembled now)

(first video, has the sound in it)

Edited by tatefamily1@gmail.com, 19 July 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#17 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

This was the first thread, I think whoever was helping me is too busy now (which I can understand, not complaining, just have a dryer partially disassembled and stuck, don't know what to do now).  I paid 25 so far, is that enough for someone to look at this?

http://appliantology...del-wtxd8300us/

ps - I may not need to buy a part this time, but I have before (old email address, another username).  Dishwasher, washing machine.  When I get around to it will replace water line on Fridge.

Edited by tatefamily1@gmail.com, 19 July 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#18 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Anybody know what this thing is?  Fell off.  Think we got the piece that was stuck in there, out, something fell when we jiggled it around.  This thing fell out later, don't know where it goes.

?ui=2&ik=778728cbbc&view=att&th=13ff7ea4

#19 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Right around the 17-18 second mark of the first video you will see a the blower wheel housing down in the front right corner, to take off the front there is a screw going into the front from that housing. You're correct that the way to get to the front is from the rear, everything comes out through the rear, unless you can reach the blower housing from above the unit.

I guess I wasn't clear, but you shouldn't have to disassemble he entire unit to get to that felt seal, now that it's partially loose you can check for visual damage to it or if something is lodged in the felt. The for the part was more for reference unless there is a lot of damage to it, then I suggest replacing the entire bulkhead not just the damaged parts. Then you would have to take there top, rear, console and drum out to properly remove the front entirely.

The image you posted isn't coming across on my computer. So I can't tell what it is
"Suds are not good"

#20 tatefamily1@gmail.com

tatefamily1@gmail.com

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Thanks!  I think the felt is okay, and wiggling it around something fell out which may have been the problem, great job diagnosing it, thank you!  this is the other thing that fell out (much earlier)

?ui=2&ik=778728cbbc&view=att&th=13ff81b5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics