Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
RoadRunner

Maytag MGS5870ADB Gas T2 Range

2 posts in this topic

I have been having problems with my oven and stumbled upon this great site while looking for a service manual. I work well with my hands and I think I can see where my problem is but I am hoping to get some feedback on my assumptions. Here goes!

The oven does not work on bake except that the electric burner is on and the electronic igniter glows. The oven works on broil fine. I checked the voltage at the gas valve on both of the burners and the broiler has 3 volts while the oven burner only is at 2.5. In the service manual it stated that the voltage should be around 3. I followed the circuit for both and from what I can tell the igniter drops the voltage from 120 volt down to the 3 volts at the gas valve. If my reasoning is correct I would be looking at an igniter problem, maybe? I see that the control itself appears to be working correctly and that there is nothing else in the circuit that can cause any problems. There is no relay between the igniter and the gas valve so am I correct in assuming that the 1/2 volt difference is my problem.

Service manual # 16010161

Thanks for the help in advance I know your time has value.

John Haukenfrers

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... the broiler has 3 volts while the oven burner only is at 2.5.

... the igniter drops the voltage from 120 volt down to the 3 volts at the gas valve.

... If my reasoning is correct I would be looking at an igniter problem

... assuming that the 1/2 volt difference is my problem.

... Service manual # 16010161

1) weak (bad) Ignitor

2) correct

3) correct

4) correct

5) http://appliantology.org/files/file/397-maytag-gas-and-electric-range-service-manual-16010161/

Glow Ignitors get weak with age (common problem) and no longer draw enough (designed) current (in series) to open the Gas Safety Valve

Gas Valve is about 1 OHM, hence 3 amps = 3 volts

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=949510

Oven-Igniter-74007498-00832946.jpg