Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn-Air bottom freezer jfc2089wem9k24101739 does not get cold enough

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 froggy47

froggy47

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Bought new 11/12 worked ok 6 months & temps in freezer started to rise.

1st service call tech diagnosed failing compressor & replaced same. This was 3/13.

I began to notice that the compressor ran almost constantly. Recovery to 0/38 (default freezer/refrig temps) was slow (several days for freezer in particular to regain 0)

2nd service call tech says it's common & more efficient to use smaller compressor & that it will run more than older bigger ones, but use less energy. I bought his explaination.

The same tech came both times & seems well educated & he even called Jenn-Air (tech only) support & went over all the parameters & he said they checked out.

Now it's warmer in the house 77 f compared to 70 f in the winter.

Neither freezer nor refrig will get to 0/38, freezer sits around 10f and refrig around 44-46f.

I tried setting the desired temps to minus 2 and 36 but the compressor just keeps running all the time & desired temps not reached.

IMO the mfg has built a unit & put an under rated compressor in it to meet some energy efficiency standard & the compressor is just going to keep killing itself trying to cool things down & never reach the optimal 0/38 temps.

Plus it now, in the heat of the summer, simply does not perform to the desired 0/38 at all. The ice cream is too soft, beer too warm.

What do the pros on the forum think?

Thanks.

:)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,717 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

That's one helluva model number there....I think it stops after the second "9" maybe

jfc2089wem9?

Anyhow,  you need to take a look at your evap frost pattern. Either you have a problem there (sealed system )or you are having an air circulation/defrost problem.

when you check out your evap, take temp readings up and down the coils also

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 froggy47

froggy47

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, I will suggest this to the next tech, still under warranty.

Is there a way to know if a manufacturer is having a common problem with a particular model?

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Your model is fine.  Other Maytag or Amana bottom mounts have had issues with stuck compressor relays on the control (Jazz) boards.  Your evaporator frost pattern and defrost circuit diagnostic check should tell the story.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

#6 froggy47

froggy47

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Tech came today, he's nice & professional.

There is not anything "wrong" with the unit.

He talked with the mfg. tech hotline.

He finally "came clean" and we discussed at some length how the Energy Star rating & pressure from EPA & environmental groups has "forced" the mfg to stick undersized compressors into the mass produced fridges.

He tweaked the r134 pressure a little & said that could/should make it run a little colder.

Once it goes from mfg warranty to extended warranty, we talked about putting the "wrong" (BIGGER) compressor in if the problem continues.

My ice cream and my vodka have to be at 0 to 5 degrees, it's been averaging about 12- 14 first door opening in the AM for a few weeks now.

Thanks guys for all the info.

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Adding more refrigerant to the unit is not going to make it colder unless there is a leak, which I suspect there is, that's why it slowly warms up. A bigger compressor isn't going to help either. These units have a hot gas line that runs from the compressor to the condenser that sits in the drain pan. It has rubber grommets on it to prevent rattling, where those grommets are the copper tends to corrode. The manufacturer is restricted by the EPA, that's correct. But, and undersized compressor would make it less efficient and the same goes for an oversized compressor.
If the tech puts in a different rated compressor than the unit calls for then you will have nothing but challenges with the unit in the future.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

There is not anything "wrong" with the unit.

He talked with the mfg. tech hotline.

He finally "came clean" and we discussed at some length how the Energy Star rating & pressure from EPA & environmental groups has "forced" the mfg to stick undersized compressors into the mass produced fridges.

He tweaked the r134 pressure a little & said that could/should make it run a little colder.

I'm posting this for the benefit of others coming along later and reading this topic. I'm afraid it's too late for you.

Let me put it simply: you've been scammed.

You don't "tweak" a refrigeration charge like you would a bra or a pair of shoes. You have to evacuate the system and install charging valves which involves brazing torches and silver solder, and then recharge the system to the exact weight of refrigerant (in ounces) called out on the model number tag.

In short, it's a big, hairy, expensive deal to do sealed system work.

If you didn't see his using a torch, vacuum pump, refrigerant recovery unit, and charging scale, then that just proves my point.

He may have told you that he was talking to Jenn-Air tech support (which is the Whirlpool tech line) but they would never tell him to do what he told you. He was probably talking to his girlfriend or a buddy, joking about the line of BS he was about to feed you.

I think this guy told you what you wanted to hear: that the compressor was undersized which, BTW, is pure BS that stems from a complete misunderstanding of how refrigeration sealed systems work.

And ditto Brother spanner's point on compressor sizing.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I suspect there is, that's why it slowly warms up.

A leak in the sealed system would make it slowly warm up and stay that way only getting progressively worse.

A failing defrost system in the pattern usually seen with these jazz control board units, on the other hand, would cause the evaporator to clog up with frost. Then, if the unit was allowed to thaw, the ice would melt and restore cooling… for a while.

#10 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

If I understand the original post correctly, the unit is under warranty, I do agree that the tech is giving a line of BS. But now she needs to contact the manufacturer and let them know that the warranty authorized company they sent out said that they have to alter the design of the unit in order to fix it.
The reason I suspect a sealed system leak is because it is now working from what I gather after adding more refrigerant to it.
Maybe I misunderstood, wouldn't be the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
"Suds are not good"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

My ice cream and my vodka have to be at 0 to 5 degrees, it's been averaging about 12- 14 first door opening in the AM for a few weeks now.

I read this to say that her ice cream and vodka "have to be" 0 to 5°F (which I heartily endorse!) But not that it *presently is* at 0 to 5°F since the BS warranty service call. It seems she was merely stating her preferred serving temperatures and not the current conditions. Perhaps the OP can clarify this point for us.

#12 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

I read this to say that her ice cream and vodka "have to be" 0 to 5°F (which I heartily endorse!) But not that it *presently is* at 0 to 5°F since the BS warranty service call. It seems she was merely stating her preferred serving temperatures and not the current conditions. Perhaps the OP can clarify this point for us.

I believe you're correct, that's what happens when I trying to read on a tiny phone instead of my Mac with a 32" monitor, zoomed in. The vodka and ice cream should be at 0-5, but its currently only at 12-14.
I hate to throw a service company under the bus, it looks bad for the entire industry, but, I think you should ask for a different authorized service company. Anybody but Sears or A&E that is. Run the diagnostics like the Samurai showed you beforehand. Note anything that doesn't pass the tests, but don't take anything apart. When they arrive, don't tell them you've ran the diagnostics, note if they do that or not, they should do that before anything else. If they don't run the diagnostics and tell you they found the problem. Let them know that you ran the diagnostic test and did, or didn't find something wrong.
"Suds are not good"

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

...  you need to take a look at your evap frost pattern.

if you could post a picture of the frost pattern of the Evaporator Coils in the Freezer,

that would tell a big story

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I hate to throw a service company under the bus, it looks bad for the entire industry,

Amen to that!  That's why I get so damn irritated when I hear these scam stories.  I really hate these sleaze-bag "techs" who go around basically telling lies to people.  It makes all of us working the trade look like feebs, boobs, and inbreds by association.  

Reading back over my post, I realize I sounded irritated at froggy.  Only mildly.  Most of my wrath was meant to be directed at the feculent, rancid, lying sack of walking bovine excrement impersonating an appliance tech feeding her that line.  Apologies to Grasshopper froggy.  

#15 froggy47

froggy47

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

Follow up, On the 3rd call (same tech) with the same complaint (does not get cold enough) the tech bled out some refrigerant to lower the pressure in the system explaining that it would run colder.

By the way when he installed the replacement (correctly sized) compressor he DID evac the system into a special sealed bag & did replace by specified weight.

I trust the guy, I don't know why some posters seem to be having a reaction that this was a poorly trained tech or a bad appliance service company.

I am a guy who does his own (DIY) work on automobile a/c so it would be sort of difficult to put one over on me. I did watch him work. I know the basics of how refrigeration works.

So on his last visit after bleeding out some pressure, the unit has been rock solid on 0 deg and 38 deg and I hear it shut off every so often now, b4 it ran continous.

What he did worked. Period.

I have a WAG that in the mfg. specifications there MAY be a typo/misprint on the weight of refrigerant & if it had too much (or too little) it would not operate at optimum.

The system is "happy" now with the refrigerant charge & so is "customer" - me.

FWIW

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,717 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Cool... glad it's working! Out of curiosity, did he leave a valve of some sort on a refrigerant line or does everything look the same as before, other than a different compressor?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#17 froggy47

froggy47

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Cool... glad it's working! Out of curiosity, did he leave a valve of some sort on a refrigerant line or does everything look the same as before, other than a different compressor?

I don't know how he let out some gas. I did not observe every minute on his last trip. It seems to me that this compressor is very sensitive/tuneable with the gas charge. Sure is nice to have a cold beer once again (and Vodka/icecream)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics