Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dcentuori

Frigidaire dishwasher FDB1050REM0 door go "p-tang!"

12 posts in this topic

On my way out to work today, the dishwasher door went "p-tang" when my son opened it, and when I went to close it I could clearly tell there was no countertension to keep the door from free-falling.  I'm not sure what is in this model, but I had to go to work and now, on my way out, I remembered that this happened!  (Luckily I put a note on the dishwasher for DW to see!)

I'm pretty sure I can use it.  But before I start taking it apart, any tips or can anyone direct me to any diagrams.  Any ideas?  Sound like a pretty common problem?

Thanks,

Dante

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Can't provide any drawing or part info without the model number. You'll find it around the doors edge when you open it. Post it when you get a chance.

It's a Frigidaire FDB1050REM0. 

Thanks,

Dante

Common enough, Brother Dante.  Gotta broken door spring P/N 154430501 or broken linkage P/N 154325201.  Both are easy enough to replace.  Just remove upper mounting screws are pull unit out about eight inches to access the door hinges.  Depending on your water line and electrical cord you may not have to disconnect anything if you have enough slack.  Check the springs and plastic links at the hinge.  At least one or both will be broken.

items 1 and 1A in the drawing

R0505129-00002.png

Yep, it's the spring.  the plastic linkage looks good (on both sides)  I'm going to replace both springs to be safe.  Like a garage door....

Domo for the update!  

OK, that was an easy one!  replaced both springs and cleaned up everything while I had the kick plates off and the unit pulled out a bit and the door works like a charm again.

But under the dishwasher I found a tab-like piece which I hope has nothing to do with the dishwasher, or is maybe a useless part from installation.  What say you all?  Check it out:

http://youtu.be/ImxGLoPCiKU

Dante

Only thing it resembles is a broken off section of the one of the metal mounts that attach the dishwasher to you cabinets at the top.  They usually have a couple holes and a few scored lines to break-off at different lengths.   Are both mounting tabs still at the front top and both have screws attaching to the cabinet?

Yes they do.  I was thinking the same thing; maybe it was extra mounting hardware for a different counter arrangment than I have.  Or something completely unrelated, like from the electrical.

Thanks,

Dante

I think I'm good!  Nothing's leaked or moved!  That piece of metal must not be from the dishwasher.  Now my kids think the door is broken because, since I replaced both springs, the door goes up "too" easily!!  Can't win....

Thanks all,

Dante