Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag auger keeps coming loose - ice bin poor design?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WolfStock

WolfStock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

I have a Maytag MZD2665HEB refridgerator.  We love the refridgerator overall, but I've been having ice bin problems since day 1 (house we moved into had the refridgerator in it), seven years now.

What keeps happening is the ice auger pops out of its holder ring, which disables the ice dispenser.  Here's a picture -

qhek.jpg

It appears that what's happening is that the ice bin itself becomes mis-aligned, and this misalignment causes it to pop loose.

Note that at the top of the bin there is some epoxy.  This is because the two side rails over time start splitting away from the bin.  This is the second bin this has happened to - I replaced it a couple years ago due to this same problem.  The epoxy helps a bit for a while, but still it keeps splitting, and eventually I have to replace the bin.

Is this just a design problem that I have to live with, and keep buying new bins every couple of years?  Or might there be something else wrong?  I don't see anything obvious.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

... This is the second bin this has happened to - I replaced it a couple years ago due to this same problem. 

Was the Helix End Cap replaced, also ?
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=139923

Drive-Gear-D7749401-01359817.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 WolfStock

WolfStock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Was the Helix End Cap replaced, also ?
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=139923

Drive-Gear-D7749401-01359817.jpg

No I didn't replace that.  It seems to pretty much be intact thought - it's not cracked or even really significantly worn.

One thing I think I might try is to jury-rig metal brackets on each side of the bin in the back, as extra support for the plastic pieces that keep breaking.  It seems like they just can't stand up to the pressure / motion being exerted by the auger motor.

If that doesn't work out then I'll be replacing the bin, and I'll also replace that end cap as well.

#4 WolfStock

WolfStock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

P.S. appreciate the help.

#5 WolfStock

WolfStock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Looking at it some more - there's definitely a problem of the auger motor pulling down on the bin.  I can see it as it runs - the back of the bin gets pulled down quite hard, to the point where it eventually breaks away the plastic rails.  Here's a video I made of it, where the left-side rail had been broken. 

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

I'm not really sure if this is just a design issue or maybe somehow my motor and/or auger have gotten misaligned; or for that matter were maybe manufactured misaligned :(

So I'm trying the metal bracket support thing:

d5xa.jpg

and will see how that goes.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

Ice Auger bent ?

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1399604

Ice-Bucket-Auger-12740302-00582297.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 WolfStock

WolfStock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

It's a possibility.  It doesn't look bent from what I can tell, but it's not the kind of thing that would be easy to see.  The way it's acting - just pulling down on the back of the bin - makes me think that's not it.  However I did just get an idea to maybe try this evening running it without the metal auger in at all - just the plastic end cap - and see if it still pulls down.  That would help determine if it's a bent auger vs just a misalignment problem (maybe).

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Check the bar towards the front of the auger where it lines up with the cylinder.  Could be stripped.

#9 WolfStock

WolfStock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Check the bar towards the front of the auger where it lines up with the cylinder.  Could be stripped.

Nah.

So far it seems to be doing well with my makeshift repair.

Regarding the auger turning unevenness - I actually didn't notice until yesterday that the motor turns in different directions depending on whether you're running in crush vs cube mode (makes sense - just didn't think about it).  It seems to run a lot smoother in crush mode.  I think it's because of the way the end cap is designed:

nw2n.jpg

When in crush mode and turning counter-clockwise (relative to this picture), the two metal tabs on the motor contact the two plastic tabs on the end cap and are "balanced" 180 degrees on each side of the end cap.  However when turning in the other direction, in cube mode, one of the two motor tabs instead pushes on the auger rod, thus they're not balanced 180 degrees across the end cap - more like say 160 degrees or so.  Since the end cap is off-balance - one side sticking out more than the other - it pulls down on the ice bin when the side that's further out is at the bottom.

Anyhow - hopefully it'll be OK.  I'd be curious of anyone else has this problem though, since it really does seem to be a design flaw.

#10 Psotis

Psotis

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Wolfstock,

I have a very similar problem with my Maytag ice dispenser auger (design is similar if not identical to yours) - when in cube mode, the auger seems to bind and stop turning. It has a crack similar to your, but only on one side, probably due the torqueing from the motor trying to turn the auger. Even if I clean out the bin and replace it empty, attempting to get the auger to turn result in binding and noticeable pressure on the upper back corner of the bin, where it has cracked. I suppose it's possible I have a bent auger, but I can't tell easily.

It does work in crush mode, but more slowly than when new.

Did you have any luck with your in the last couple of months?

#11 WolfStock

WolfStock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Update - a year later and still doing well.  The makeshift brackets are holding steady.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics