Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Miele W1926 ground wire on lid?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wasabi

wasabi

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ipa

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

I managed to pull my W1926 apart to replace bearings, brushes, and drive belt. Took pictures of everything so I could put it back together as they were. The only problem is that I didn't take a picture of the very first step. On the back/middle inner-side of the lid of the washing machine is a green (I presume a ground) wire that was attached to some part of the washing machine inside. When I pulled the washing machine apart few weeks ago, (I was waiting for parts) I must have thought that this wire was attached to a very obvious location because I did not take pictures of it. The cord is short enough so that it can only be plugged into a this general location but I can't seem to figure it out. Does anybody here have experience with this? Thanks. . . 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 wasabi

wasabi

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

I can't seem to upload photos. The photo of the lid with its ground wire and the inside of the washer is at this link:

http://share.pho.to/33GCu?view=noauth

#3 wasabi

wasabi

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Just updating in case somebody else runs into something similar. 

The lid in the photo is part of a 'stack kit' and I am guessing that the idea was to make sure that the lid is also grounded.  (Strange since the metal lid is in full contact with the frame. I will test the frame and drum for continuity with the ground terminal at the plug and then attach this wire to which ever is already grounded. . .

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Is there possibly a matching wire with a male Terminal that may have fell into the Washer Cabinet ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 wasabi

wasabi

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hmm. . . I'll open the front this afternoon and take another look. Since I couldn't find a male terminal, I thought that perhaps I broke it off of the frame or drum while working on it but I think you might be right.

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Check near the terminal block for a male spade connector for the ground wire.  Might even have some minute scratch marks where the female terminal connected.

#7 wasabi

wasabi

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Checked everywhere . . . there are no loose wires. I have a feeling that the short ground wire from the lid was attached to the upper part of the frame or the drum but I lost the male terminal somehow.

So I tested the frame/body and the drum for continuity with the Ground terminal on the plug. I presume the drum is made of stainless steel and yes, it is grounded. As for the frame, I couldn't detect continuity even though I could see a pair of green terminals attached directly to the bottom of the frame. It turns out that the frame is made of nonconducting material or the paint makes it so. I could detect continuity at the terminals but not on the frame just an inch away. (Is there even a reason to 'ground' a nonconducting body?)

So technically, both the drum and the frame are grounded. Just forget the green wire on the lid exists and screw the lid on? 

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

No.  Still need to complete the ground circuit to the lid/top.  Could just strip end of wire and attach to the closest cabinet screw.

#9 wasabi

wasabi

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

No.  Still need to complete the ground circuit to the lid/top.  Could just strip end of wire and attach to the closest cabinet screw.

Thank you for your response. Could you possibly teach me a little bit of electrical engineering 101? I am a newbie making a few assumptions:

1. Since the lid is in actual contact with the frame, I thought that it would be redundant to actually connect the two pieces by wire. 

2. Since the frame is non-conductive, even if I connected the lid to it, either by wire or by contact (it already is in contact) I don't think it would actually ground the lid. Or would it?

3. Connecting it to the drum makes most sense to me since the drum shows continuity with the ground terminal on the plug but I can't figure out how unless I do some soldering.

4. If the lid does in fact become hot, it is in between the washer and the dryer and I cannot really see how anybody can be in contact with it. 

Any how, ^these are the thoughts that I had in mind . . . and yes, I already put everything together and the washer is working like a charm. . . but if what I did is dangerous, I will definitely pull it apart and do it over again.

Thanks.

#10 wasabi

wasabi

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Doh! . . . the bearings failed after 3 washes. I fear that the gasket was a mismatch with my washing machine. Expensive mistake . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics