Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
wasabi

Miele W1926 ground wire on lid?

10 posts in this topic

I managed to pull my W1926 apart to replace bearings, brushes, and drive belt. Took pictures of everything so I could put it back together as they were. The only problem is that I didn't take a picture of the very first step. On the back/middle inner-side of the lid of the washing machine is a green (I presume a ground) wire that was attached to some part of the washing machine inside. When I pulled the washing machine apart few weeks ago, (I was waiting for parts) I must have thought that this wire was attached to a very obvious location because I did not take pictures of it. The cord is short enough so that it can only be plugged into a this general location but I can't seem to figure it out. Does anybody here have experience with this? Thanks. . . 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Just updating in case somebody else runs into something similar. 

The lid in the photo is part of a 'stack kit' and I am guessing that the idea was to make sure that the lid is also grounded.  (Strange since the metal lid is in full contact with the frame. I will test the frame and drum for continuity with the ground terminal at the plug and then attach this wire to which ever is already grounded. . .

Is there possibly a matching wire with a male Terminal that may have fell into the Washer Cabinet ?

Hmm. . . I'll open the front this afternoon and take another look. Since I couldn't find a male terminal, I thought that perhaps I broke it off of the frame or drum while working on it but I think you might be right.

Check near the terminal block for a male spade connector for the ground wire.  Might even have some minute scratch marks where the female terminal connected.

Checked everywhere . . . there are no loose wires. I have a feeling that the short ground wire from the lid was attached to the upper part of the frame or the drum but I lost the male terminal somehow.

So I tested the frame/body and the drum for continuity with the Ground terminal on the plug. I presume the drum is made of stainless steel and yes, it is grounded. As for the frame, I couldn't detect continuity even though I could see a pair of green terminals attached directly to the bottom of the frame. It turns out that the frame is made of nonconducting material or the paint makes it so. I could detect continuity at the terminals but not on the frame just an inch away. (Is there even a reason to 'ground' a nonconducting body?)

So technically, both the drum and the frame are grounded. Just forget the green wire on the lid exists and screw the lid on? 

No.  Still need to complete the ground circuit to the lid/top.  Could just strip end of wire and attach to the closest cabinet screw.

No.  Still need to complete the ground circuit to the lid/top.  Could just strip end of wire and attach to the closest cabinet screw.

Thank you for your response. Could you possibly teach me a little bit of electrical engineering 101? I am a newbie making a few assumptions:

1. Since the lid is in actual contact with the frame, I thought that it would be redundant to actually connect the two pieces by wire. 

2. Since the frame is non-conductive, even if I connected the lid to it, either by wire or by contact (it already is in contact) I don't think it would actually ground the lid. Or would it?

3. Connecting it to the drum makes most sense to me since the drum shows continuity with the ground terminal on the plug but I can't figure out how unless I do some soldering.

4. If the lid does in fact become hot, it is in between the washer and the dryer and I cannot really see how anybody can be in contact with it. 

Any how, ^these are the thoughts that I had in mind . . . and yes, I already put everything together and the washer is working like a charm. . . but if what I did is dangerous, I will definitely pull it apart and do it over again.

Thanks.

Doh! . . . the bearings failed after 3 washes. I fear that the gasket was a mismatch with my washing machine. Expensive mistake . . .