Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile GSD4920Z02BB won't clean...water fills up but gets sucked out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BigChiefNocaHoma

BigChiefNocaHoma

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

When dishwasher is turned on, water fills in tub for about one minute (about a gallon of water), but then all of the water gets sucked out through the drain.  When wash cycle begins, the spinning arm doesn't spin (it just gurgles) and the center "tower" that is supposed to rise up just gurgles too and won't move.  It appears that it doesn't have enough water pressure to make the arm spin and wash the dishes.  I have tried adding more water to the bottom of the tub right before the wash cycle to see if that boosts the water level/pressure enough to make the arm spin, but it just all gets sucked out through the drain, and I just get a lot of gurgling, but no washing!!!  Is this perhaps a problem with the drain pump solenoid?  Getting frustrated....and the dishes are piling up!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Sounds like siphoning.  Check the drain hose and make sure that:

1.  There's a riser loop somewhere in the hose before the drain pipe

2.  There's not a tight seal at the drain hose-pipe junction (if it's not draining into a disposal)

3.  Also, if draining into a pipe, make sure the hose end is not submerged in standing water in the pipe.  

#3 BigChiefNocaHoma

BigChiefNocaHoma

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thank you for the reply, Samurai!!!  After some further investigation and plundering, it turns out that the drain valve solenoid is a mess...the plunger is corroded and rusted and was stuck in the "drain" position, so every time the water filled the dishwasher, it would just get sucked out, and there was not enough water to power the spray arm to wash the dishes.  Even more concerning is that there is now water leaking from the pump housing (which was probably causing the corrosion to begin with...a slow drip before...now it's a BIG drip!).  I could replace the entire pump/solenoid/motor mechanism (even though the motor appears to work fine, but it's sold as a unit/kit), but my dishwasher is now over 14 years old, and the pump and motor repair kit is close to $150...should I put the old mare out to pasture and buy a new dishwasher, or should I take on the repair in hopes that she'll last me a few more years??  (This is actually the first problem I've had with this dishwasher, and with the exception of some of the tines rusting on the lower rack, it was washing dishes just fine until now...so what's a penny pincher like me to do?)

Oh...and P.S.  I did check all the drain hose things you told me to check in your post, and everything seems fine there!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

Good job, Chief!  

And domo for posting what you found!   :dude:

#5 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

I've put many of those in for customers and they are happy that they remain united with their faithful DW rather than having to get a new one that will definitely no be as dutiful as the one they have.

I'd fix it!
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

I agree.  If the motor is running you could just replace the solenoid assy P/N WD21X10060.  I can't remember if the gate shaft seal (the source of the leak) comes with the kit.  If not seal P/N WD8X181.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics