Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Cabrio WTW6200SW0 Bearing Removal Question?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jasonkg80

jasonkg80

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Old English

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

I am trying to remove the bearing and shaft from my Cabrio washing machine. There is a notched hard plastic nut that has been a real challenge to a remove. It looks like a smaller spanner nut than most washers have, but its made of plastic  (see pic below of nut circled in yellow) unlike the galvanized spanner nuts on other washers. I made an attempt at removing this with a pipe wrench, the spanner tool below (too big), and a hammer and screwdriver to no avail. Is there a special tool to remove this nut??? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions?

http://i165.photobuc...zpsdaf28bbd.jpg

http://i165.photobuc...zps345c5fdf.jpg

http://i165.photobuc...zps27546d84.jpg

http://i165.photobuc...zpsf35c30be.jpg

http://i165.photobuc...zpsea1710a3.jpg

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Here's the procedure:

#3 jasonkg80

jasonkg80

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

ThirstyTech,

Huge thanks for getting me back on track! My wife was starting to look for a new washer.

1:07 on your video is where I went wrong. Once I removed the basket, the shaft popped out of the bottom of the inner tub after yanking on it and twisting (I already got the shaft loose from the outer tub at this point by banging violently from the bottom of the outer tub). Now I am on my way to finally completing this job after wasting money on three tools and not having a washer for over three weeks. I wish I would have found this forum sooner. Thanks Again!

#4 donn

donn

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Most any tea/coffee

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

This puppy been leaking for a long time!

shaft is rusted  to plastic

I love when  they show taking apart a washer and the washer is clean and new 

not real world conditions!

I can see from pics you going to need new basket hub (kit)

What I do in this case is :1st remove motor - -rps- per bearing kit instructions  t- remove nut on shaft 

lay machine down  so you can DRIVE shaft & basket and all  out through top-- take basket(  once out)  tip it on its top  then drive shaft out 

hub and all should come out ( I see you've already remove the hub screws)

you will need a new hub kit when you go to  re-install basket

Good luck 

Edited by donn, 21 July 2013 - 03:21 PM.

over 39,500 appliances repaired since 1978 (some successfully)

#5 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

ThirstyTech,

Huge thanks for getting me back on track! My wife was starting to look for a new washer.

1:07 on your video is where I went wrong. Once I removed the basket, the shaft popped out of the bottom of the inner tub after yanking on it and twisting (I already got the shaft loose from the outer tub at this point by banging violently from the bottom of the outer tub). Now I am on my way to finally completing this job after wasting money on three tools and not having a washer for over three weeks. I wish I would have found this forum sooner. Thanks Again!

Your'e welcome, I'm glad you are on the right path now.  Don't forget the celebratory beers to honor your accomplishments! 

#6 jasonkg80

jasonkg80

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

I have it all put back together thanks to everyone's help and especially the video. If I had to do this again it would be done in an hour instead of three weeks. I'll be saving the celebratory beers until tomorrow after the test wash. If nothing leaks and there are no weird noises I'll be on my way to Beer Country, if there's still a problem I'll be on my way to the store to buy a new washer. Hopefully I don't need the hub kit. 

Thanks Thirstytech and donn for all your help.

#7 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

I have it all put back together thanks to everyone's help and especially the video. If I had to do this again it would be done in an hour instead of three weeks. I'll be saving the celebratory beers until tomorrow after the test wash. If nothing leaks and there are no weird noises I'll be on my way to Beer Country, if there's still a problem I'll be on my way to the store to buy a new washer. Hopefully I don't need the hub kit. 

Thanks Thirstytech and donn for all your help.

I'd replace that hub kit just because it is a realtivly cheap and easy part to change compared to the bearing and shaft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics