Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Monogram Refrigerator - lower compartments freezing foods

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

the cover on the right should just slip off. Usually, the damper assembly has four screws holding it in place.. Mosr of the time, you have to remove the light fixture to get access to the two screws holding the damper assembly to the ceiling. However yours does look a bit different. Now you have to remove the air duct, starting from the bottom going up. The latter entails removing all of your shelves covering the air duct, remove the dial in the delifresh light lens, remlve the lens then the screws holding the bottom duct in place. Then detach the bottom duct from clips and sometimes there is tape holding the ductwork together. Once ductwork is removed, you should ne able to figure out the rest.

Great picture of your icemaker by the way as it answers a question I have for you. Where is the slide shelf that fits on top of the icemaker bucket? I had plan on asking you if it was slid into both sides of the rails so that the ice will not lift it up thereby defeating the purpose of the shelf. Its purpose is to limit and chanel the ice towards the icemaker paddle. If not properly installed, the ice will continually grow upwards and not be felt by the auto-shutoff paddle. The ice "mountain" in your picture cannot form if that shelf was properly installed.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Gaucho100K

Gaucho100K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

the cover on the right should just slip off. Usually, the damper assembly has four screws holding it in place.. Mosr of the time, you have to remove the light fixture to get access to the two screws holding the damper assembly to the ceiling. However yours does look a bit different. Nkw you have to remove the air duct, starting from the bottom going up. The latter entails removing all of your shelves covering the air duct, remove the dial in the delifresh light lens, remlve the lens then the screws holding the bottom duct in place. Then detach the bottom duct from clips and sometimes there is tape holding the ductwork together. Once ductwork is removed, you should ne able to figure out the rest.

Great picture of your icemaker by the way as it answers a question I have for you. Where is the slide shelf that fits on too of the icemaker bucket? I had plan on asking you if it was slid into both sides of the rails so that the ice will not lift it up thereby defeating the purpose of the shelf. Its purpose is to limit and chanel the ice towards the icemaker paddle. If not properly installed, the ice will continually grow upwards and not be felt by the autoshut off paddle. The ice "mountain" in your picture cannot form if that shelf was properly installed.

Thank you for taking time to post the detailed instructions.  After some additional research I got with the help of a good friend we seem to have concluded that we know which is the right part number... he based his last research on some of the pictures I took this last round so that seems to have been a useful diagnostics tool.  I will go ahead and have it ordered..... also, after reading so much about OEM vs Original parts... I do not want to cut corners.  Where do you experts suggest I get my damper from...?  I will have to wait until mid August for someone to bring it down for me... will then proceed to replace it. 

On the subject of the Ice Maker, I removed the slide shelf to that I could picture the actual Ice Maker.... thank you for explaining what this shelf does, I was not aware of that and thought that perhaps my ice-level paddle was defective.  However, I am still puzzled as the slide shelf is always installed, and I still seem to get the Iceberg forming.... do I perhaps have a humidity problem in my ice-maker... or is it because I have a temperature range issue..... does a freezer that is too cold make an iceberg or do you need a freezer that becomes too warm and then freezes back because of temperature control issues to form the one giant block of Ice...?

Thanks,

Alejandro

#23 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

may be similar to  ZFSB25DMASS (different Controls)

http://www.searspart...SS/0432/0165000

also,

model number locations:

video

sidebysiderefrig.gif

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#24 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

When you put the shelf in place, can it be lifted up from the bottom? There is no way ice can lift it up if it is properly installed. Many times I've seen customers slide the shelf on top of the rails as opposed to in the rails.

#25 Gaucho100K

Gaucho100K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

may be similar to  ZFSB25DMASS (different Controls)

http://www.searspart...SS/0432/0165000

also,

model number locations:

video

sidebysiderefrig.gif

Amazing !!!   Thank you very much for this, this is a huge step in confirming the parts that I need. 

As for the above diagram.... this seems to pinpoint locations of what exactly.... perhaps where the Thermistors are located...?

#26 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

.. this seems to pinpoint locations of what exactly.... perhaps where the Thermistors are located...?

model number locations:

#27 Gaucho100K

Gaucho100K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

When you put the shelf in place, can it be lifted up from the bottom? There is no way ice can lift it up if it is properly installed. Many times I've seen customers slide the shelf on top of the rails as opposed to in the rails.

No.... I have the rails identified and the shelf it proprerly installed and cannot be lifted from the bottom.  In my technical idiocy I was thinking that some sort of excess humidity was causing the iceberg to form..... in the end the icemaker does stop making ice at the top... but during periods where we dispense very little ice the entire ice compartment turns into one large iceberg.  If its not humidity, I thought that maybe the freezer was operating in a range of temps that included too warm periods that led to melting and then re-freezing......  however, if the latter were the case, should I not see some other evidence of dripping water and then freezing...??? 

Don't want to take this to the Sherlock Holmes extreme.... just thinking out loud.

Thanks again,

Alejandro

.. this seems to pinpoint locations of what exactly.... perhaps where the Thermistors are located...?

model number locations:

Ah... yes, in my model number badge is located on the top right side in the fresh food section (top shelve area).  I have a picture of the model badge number.... cant remember now if I posted it already.  Would it help if I posted the picture of that...?

Thanks !!

#28 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

... model badge number.... cant remember now if I posted it already.

I don't remember seeing the model number,

(I thought you posted a similar mode number)

I have been searching for a few days, now...

all of a sudden it appears in your original post

#29 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

not sure but it could be related to the damper issue... highly unlikely but we might as well follow the general rule of thumb, repair problem#1 and it may solve problem #2.

#30 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

GE makes a crisper drawer / water tank temperature kit that I have had good results with in certain, specific situations:  http://www.repaircli...49X10045/914072

If the only problem in the FF compartment is the crisper drawers freezing and not the entire compartment (especially upper compartment), your box is a good candidate for for this kit and is an easy and inexpensive solution.  

#31 Gaucho100K

Gaucho100K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

I don't remember seeing the model number,

(I thought you posted a similar mode number)

I have been searching for a few days, now...

all of a sudden it appears in your original post

If I remember correctly I did post it in my original post..... did my homework and read that posting the full and unabridged model number is one of the sacred commandments around here....

:thumbsup:

#32 Gaucho100K

Gaucho100K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

not sure but it could be related to the damper issue... highly unlikely but we might as well follow the general rule of thumb, repair problem#1 and it may solve problem #2.

Good point.... once I get the damper part I guess I will find out if the iceberg continues to form... or not.

Related question..... do you the Experts think that is it worth while for me to change the other 3 (three) thermistors I have in my unit....?  The factory original sensors are now 12 years old..... so given my issues, would you go ahead and change them...? 

Also, regarding thermistors, I change them using butt splices and then seal them off with tape... I know the standard here is using a soldering kit.  Ive never used a soldering unit before..... so it there a material difference between soldering and using the more traditional splice and tape in terms of long-term durability...?

#33 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Good point.... once I get the damper part I guess I will find out if the iceberg continues to form... or not.

Damper Assembly:  http://www.repaircli...ber=ZSG27NGSASS

Damper-Control-Assembly-WR49X10091-00997

#34 Gaucho100K

Gaucho100K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

GE makes a crisper drawer / water tank temperature kit that I have had good results with in certain, specific situations:  http://www.repaircli...49X10045/914072

If the only problem in the FF compartment is the crisper drawers freezing and not the entire compartment (especially upper compartment), your box is a good candidate for for this kit and is an easy and inexpensive solution.  

Thanks for posting this.... you know its funny that this would come up now... as the last technical guy I consulted here in Buenos Aires offered a home made solution similar to this....  now that you mention an actual GE kit existing for this, I am kind of seriously confused.

Does this mean that there is a chance that my air damper is OK and that my proper solution is to install this kit....?  Why would GE manufacture this kit in the 1st place and what is the "official GE" application for this kit....? 

BTW, Im having these freezing situations with the temperature settings of 3 (freezer) and 2 (refrigerator).... the settings on my unit go all the way up to 9.... don't know if this is relevant and/or useful for the diagnosis of the situation.

Thanks very much.

Alejandro

#35 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

Does this mean that there is a chance that my air damper is OK 

Yes.  You would need to visually verify.  

and that my proper solution is to install this kit....?  Why would GE manufacture this kit in the 1st place and what is the "official GE" application for this kit....? 

I don't know about "proper" since the kit is obviously a bandaid to fix an engineering flaw.  But, as I said, the kit works in certain, specific situations where the food freezing is limited to the crisper and deli drawers only and sometimes the water tank.  But if you're getting freezing in the upper portion of the FF compt, then this kit would not work for you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics