Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

maytag stem seal (replaced , but still leaking) mo. # lat9416aae

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vunger1

vunger1

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:maxwell house regular blend

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Tub was leaking so i replaced stem seal , part # 6-2095720......should i have replaced more than what this kit covers?Did i possibly overtighten the mounting stem? Maytags are an area i am a little weak on. Also at one point the shaft pulled out of the transmission???

On another note : The business location that i occupy was a maytag home center for about 15 yrs. The previous owner tells me that these models are worth repairing, even when the transmission fails he says there is a way to rebuild the top end of the tranny , in a time efficient manner. I threw away so many of these models in my first couple of years. I need a little enlightenment.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

Here's my procedure for doing these jobs:  http://fixitnow.com/...le-care-washer/

Read through and compare with what you did to see if there's anything different.  

Note especially steps 44 and 45:

44. plug unit back in and turn to spin
45. let it spin for a couple of minutes

This gets the rubber seal hot and lets it meld a bit with the tub making a good seal. 

#3 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

I agree with Sami, should wipe the face of the seal and the mating seal on the stem with a paper towel and spin dry for a couple minutes befor introducing water into the machine. Over tightening shouldn't be an issue.

If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#4 vunger1

vunger1

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:maxwell house regular blend

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

replaced bearing kit also and all is well, as advised by those here at appliantology.org, better to replace stem seal kit and bearing kit. You dont save much by doing only the stem seal kit. Also if rubber seals on stem seal were bad,it would only make sense that the rubber seal on the tub bearing couldnt be far behind.

Thanks to all, for the help!

P.S.  The shaft pulled out because the plastic retainer ring had been removed, by: "yours truly"

Putta tha retaina backa where a it go and as a wise Samurai once said "Konnichiwa", back in bidness.

Edited by vunger1, 03 August 2013 - 10:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics