Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire stopped dispensing crushed ice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dumb-as-dirt

dumb-as-dirt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am but a lowly peasant with an unthinkable problem -- summer is upon us and we have no crushed ice!

Our Frigidaire FRS23R4CW0 side-by-side will dispense ice cubes and water just fine, but it no longer seems to want to dispense crushed ice?

Any suggestions (besides learning to live without crushed ice)?

thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

Mr. or Mrs. Dirt,

The most common reason for this problem is frost forming on the shaft of a solenoid that shifts the ice bucket discharge from cubed to crush. Take the ice bucket out, and look at the back wall of the frig. You should see a small hole that lines up with a metal arm that was sticking out the back of the ice bucket. In the hole you can see the end of the mechanism that moves the ice bucket arm. with your finger you should be able to move it up and down about half an inch or so. If you can't, you have found your problem. Sometimes you can just free them up by working it up and down a few times. If that fails you will need to remove the whole panel to get access. Thaw it out, dry it out, then put a little lithium grease(very thin coating) on the shaft, and put it back together.

Sometimes the (solenoid)coil is bad, or the inside of the coil has distorted it's shape inside so the shaft won't move. Then you need a part.

good luck, let us know what you found

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 dumb-as-dirt

dumb-as-dirt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:13 PM

Dear Mr or Mrs. Nick,

I followed your advice, and upon putting the ice bucket back in I noticed that there was a box of frozen deep dish pizzas that was encumbering the movement of that metal arm of you which you so wisely spoke.

Anyway, my ice is crushing again, and I couldn't be happier. Well, OK, I still have to figure out how to replace the temp sensor in our stove so it will work again, but besides that, HAPPY!

Thanks a lot for your help

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:30 AM

Good Work! You didn't have to pay for a service call or buy any parts. Plus, you have pizza. All you need now is a few beers.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 Lurker_alcayde08_*

Lurker_alcayde08_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:27 PM

You are THE greatest appliance helper person ever. My refrigerator has not been making cubed ice for months now, but thanks to you, it's FIXED!!! Thanks so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics