Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Horrible Smell from Magic Chef MCBR-1010w

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chad ONeal

Chad ONeal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hello all. My first post here, as this is my first attempt of actually communicating with someone directly about my problem. I have exhausted most efforts I believe. I've watched youtube videos, asked local HVAC guys, and attempted to access every and all user servicable locations on this refridgerator. The fridge is model MCBR-1010w from Magic Chef. It works great, is very clean. I am not 100% if this is the culprit, but I had some fresh fish in a ziplock bag on the bottom rack shelf defrosting. Some of the juice drtipped down to the glass floor and crisper buckets, noticed before 12 hours had even passed. A smell was eminating from the fridge, but pulling the fish out and smelling the bag of fish isolated from the cabanet, I smelt no fowl odor. I completely removed all items, lysol with bleach cleaned the fridge top to bottom, fridge and freezer, and the smell was noticable after an hour of the bleach smell wearing off. I unplugged the fridge, took it out side, pulled every shelf and crisper drawer out, sprayed the whole thing inside and out top to bottom with bleach, let it side sprayede it again then hosed it out. I then sprayed lysol disinfective spray in every square inch of the cabanets.. The smell was gone, until I plugged it in, the fowl smell, like bad fish or boiled bologna mixed with dirt old bus seats and drippy garbage leakage, returned.. I have not reintroduced any food items at this time. I put 5 boxes of baking soda in there, poured some in their loosly, bowls of activated carbon and some newspapers inside. All at home remedies I found online. Nothing worked. I unplugged the fridge and let it sit outside, doors open for 3 days. I then, again sprayed the inside of the cabanet with bleach and scrubbed the heck out of it, AGAIN.. Let it air dry, and plugged it back in with the doors still open. The whole kitchen smelt within the hour.I finally, removed the back panel in the freezer after unplugging the unit, and sprayed the coils with lysol until dripping.. Sprayed and sprayed and sprayed every inch.. There is two ports on the bottom, one that goes into the fridge cabanet, and one that drains out to the dripper pain in the rear bottom. I continually poured bleach water down the back drain.. Well over 2 gallons of solution. I also removed the fridge panel where the thermostat is, and pulled the styrofoam down a little, it didnt come all the way easily so I didn not force it, I just pulled it down as much as it freely allowed, and sprayed the heck out of the styrofoam and surrounding area with lysol... I am at a complete loss. There is no other access to internal parts of this fridge it appears a diy user should be able to access... The only vent INTO the cabanets that I am able to see is the drain for the defrost cycle.. Does that funnel down and taper to the small drain hole above the drain pain, or does it somehow spread into a bigger cavity prior to being drained. Could perhaps backteria water or mold made its way somewhere in there and just pouring bleach down there isnt reaching it.. I am seriously so frustrated!! ANY HELP?!?!?!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

I'm not sure (maybe another Master)

It may be in the plastic / and / or vent system

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Chad ONeal

Chad ONeal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for your reply. I did also wash and spray the panel and down the vent that goes from freezer to fridge.. After looking at the unit very carefully again, I am positive the ONLY vent or opening of any kind, that goes INTO the cabin is the defrosting drain vent, in the center back of the freezer.. (With the except\ion of the electical wires coming into the cabinet appear to be sealed with a grommit and foam. No evident air gap. )The one which I poured bleach water solution down.. I have considered blocking the drain hole on the bottom, and then pouring the solution in there so that it may stay in without draining and soak.. But was hoping to get some advice before doing so.

#4 Chad ONeal

Chad ONeal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

I am learning, that the rear drain is not completey isolated from the front vent to the fridge. After plugging the drain and pouring the bleach water solution down the REAR vent, I did notive some overflow pouring inside the fridge from behind the fridge panel. I thought maybe it was just me not carefully funneling the water down ONLY the rear vent/drain. So I used the bladder bag from my cycling backpack and stuck the hose down the rear drain/vent. After a little water has accumulated, before being able to visibly see water at the top, it does start overflowing inside the fridge cabinet from behind the panel. I think I remember from a youtube video there being a plastic piece that somehow went from one vent to the other.. and perhaps is why the styrofoam piece would not completely come out from the assembly.. Just thought Id add those details.. 

#5 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

The smell is probably coming from underneath. When the fridge is turned on it heats up underneath and fan that takes heat away from coils is also spreading the smell. Have you tried washing it underneath? If it leaked out the door that's one way it could have gotten under it. Another way would have been when you washed it out the dirty water got underneath.

Test

#6 Chad ONeal

Chad ONeal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

Interesting, because I always did smell odor from the bottom, more similar to urine then the smell inside the cabin. And another thing is it did seem like as I was pouring liquid down the rear vent/drain in freezer, liquid almost seemed to leak from where the adjustable feet in the front bottom are.but it could have been dripping from inside the fridge. Anyway, when I first checked the bottom. I thought I remember it looking completely sealed.. Is that where the condenssor coils are? Is there a way to access it.

#7 Chad ONeal

Chad ONeal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

I think flooding the compartment did get most of the bacteria flushes, which Io believe is in the bottom. After running for an hour I don't smell much, but I shut her down, tilted her 45 degrees against my shower room wall, and low and behold a few drops of brown water came out the rear back right.. It smells putrid. So, how the heck do I get into the bottom of this thing!!!

#8 Chad ONeal

Chad ONeal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Okay everyone, on the very front lip of the unit, below the fridge door, I believe the fish juice seeped in the very small lip here. How do I get water out. Short of drilling a small hole in the bottom to drain the liquid, am I able to take apart this unit to access this?

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

flush it out ?
pressure washer ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Chad ONeal

Chad ONeal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Ive tried flushing out. And just getting every square inch of yuk out of there is near impossible. The contaminated water is ssandwhiched between the outermost metal of the refrigerator and lying still and unaccessible with insulation foam and glue between what I believe is the another sub floor beneeth the cabanet floor. My final attempt, if someone can assure me there is no damagable parts is to honestly drill or cut a hole in the botton tondrain it all out the reseal it.

#11 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Test

#12 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

http://defishingsoap.com/

Comes in bar and liquid

Test

#13 Chad ONeal

Chad ONeal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Ouch..... Raggin on the Grasshoppa huh?!?!? Alright!!! lol     Well, thats okay I can be the butt of a good joke!! I can take it!! I hear ya.. well for yall that are curious about the outcome... I threw my hands in the air, and took it out side, put it on its side and cut a huge square out of the 16th inch thick aluminum on the bottom.. It reveals that thick dense foam thats in there, which is pretty much completely saturated with smell and liquid.. So yea.. Its not my outdoor bait freezer! New fridge coming soon!

#14 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Well, unfortunatly that's probably the best thing. Raw fish smell is really hard to get rid of even when you can get to it.

Sucks that it seeped through the cracks into the insulation. But it would be a hellava beer fridge outside.

Test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics