Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
AlexM

Kitchenaid Trash Compactor-Model# KUCS03FTPA0: Is the switch to reverse motor attached?

8 posts in this topic

I successfully replaced a broken plastic sprocket that was attached to the drive shaft of the motor, runs the chain to the screw jacks.

I failed to test the unit with trash in it, only tested without trash, and the motor reversed at the bottom and the ram returned to the top.

Now my customer has called and there is trash inside and its making the same noise it made right before the plastic sprocket snapped in two.

My question is this: Is there a switch inside the motor that senses when the motor is slowing and changes the direction of the motor? Would the P/N be W10439651?

It appears that the drawer switch and top switch seem to work, would it make sense that its the motor switch that is defective?

Thanks in advance.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... Is there a switch inside the motor that senses when the motor is slowing and changes the direction of the motor?

the Switch inside the Motor is not for reversing

KitchenAid Trash Compactor

KUCS03FTPA0

KUCS03FTSS0

Repair Part List - W10118275

Use and Care Guide - 9872215

Tech Sheet - 9871923

http://appliantology.org/files/file/1088-kitchenaid-trash-compactor-kucs03ft/

Thanks for the info.

I briefly looked at the wiring diagram and still do not understand what switch senses the pressure of the ram and reverses the motor? Wouldn't it be the centrifigual switch on the motor?

,,, Wouldn't it be the centrifigual switch on the motor?

no

added 4322481 service seminar

http://appliantology.org/files/file/1088-kitchenaid-trash-compactor-kucs03ft/

Running—Going Down or Coming up

After the start switch is released and the ram moves down about one inch,

the top limit/directional switch changes position (the movement of the ram causes this action)

and maintains a circuit to the run windings of the motor.

The other internal switch of the top limit/directional switch positions itself to complete a circuit to the CCW start windings (ram up direction).

This condition is necessary when the ram stalls, it will change the direction of the ram.

I've had a few of these compactors that have similar symptoms, Brother Alex.  If the top directional limit switch checks good, then check the actuator for the start switch at the bottom/right corner of the cabinet.  The actuators had a tendency to break and have been upgraded to a kit P/N W10342596.

The centrifugal switch IS indirectly related to the reversing function of the ram.

When the motor stalls it closes the start winds on the motor so that it can restart the up stoke, (basically motor stalling puts it back in the dead ready to start run position and with the top ram switch open the start winding polarity is reversed so that when the motor starts back up it is in the reverse running direction to raise the ram as opposed to starting in put ram down direction).

thats what I kind of figured, Thanks!

... The centrifugal switch IS indirectly related to the reversing function of the ram.

OK, yes indirectly, but it doesn't reverse the Motor..

and if the Start Switch was bad, you would notice the Motor having trouble starting initially.