Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

35V on light fixture with switch off

fishyhands

Greetings Guru:  I recently put a LED bulb in my house's front door light.  It promptly lit up dimly with the switch off.  I put the meter on it and saw about 35-45V.  The fixture was old so I took it off and tried the bare wires, still had voltage on it with the switch off.  Checked the switch and it was good (used ohmmeter with the switch disconnected).  Only thing I can think off is looking into the switch box (room for 2 switches, foyer and front light) I could see several cables  in the back, some of which had been pigtailed together at construction (I assume, not first owner and house is 73 years old).

Is this normal?  Is there something I missed?  I'll call an electrician but I want to get my ducks in a row, the electricians in my area are all into doing major surgery on small stuff since the Hurricane. (and I'm no where near the water)  Domo, Sensei

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishyhands

• RegUS_PatOff

...  I put the meter on it and saw about 35-45V.

... Checked the switch and it was good (used ohmmeter with the switch disconnected)

did you check the voltage with the Switch disconnected ?

• Like 1

... Zero volts with switch disconnected -

bad Switch

Oi, it was the switch.  I had ASSumed it was okay by taking it off and putting an ohmmeter on it.  I saw zero ohms one way, none the other, so figured that wasn't it.  It was one of those "lit" toggles, one that has a faint pink glow in the handle, and the glow was almost gone.

Problem solved, many thanks!!

.....  It was one of those "lit" toggles, one that has a faint pink glow in the handle, and the glow was almost gone.

aahhh .. you didn't mention that ...

the Switch isn't bad, but it's designed for a "normal" light bulb

the pink glow is a small (usually neon) light bulb inside the Switch,

in series with the external "load"