Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Old School

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

I don't know if it's the summer heat, hormones or the ever expanding grey patches in my beard that have me getting emotional over older appliances.

For the past 15 years I've ran service calls across four counties working on the newest of the new domestic appliances, seeing the evolution of all the major brands.  Graduating from clipboard to laptop to Ipad.  Attending factory service training constantly as instructors introduce one groundbreaking new design after another.

Now, in my present position with a much smaller territory and hardly any warranty service calls, I'm seeing products that years ago I swore I would never see again. 

Last week a customer came into the store wanting to buy a new Whirlpool dryer.  As usual I ask what kind of dryer he had.  He says he has a coffee colored Kenmore dryer that wasn't heating.  He says too old to fix but I say "Well, it's not a Lady Kenmore so it's old but not too old.  Let me check it out for you."  Scheduled a service call and checked it the next day.  Unit had a full chrome control panel with a light up face.  Solid built.  No thermal cutouts or blower fuse.  A manly man's dryer.  Slapped a new 4391960 element in and dryer is fixed.  Lost a dryer sale but gained a customer for life.

Today, I had a belt driven Whirlpool washer with a bad timer.  Timer NLA and about the only thing still available for these is the wig wag and belt.  Wound up selling them a used direct drive and brought the belt drive back to the shop.  As I was putting it out for scrap I was overcome with sadness.  I swear if I could have gotten away with it I would have given it a Native American funeral,  laying it across a couple of wooden pallets and lighting it on fire.

Maybe in a couple of years I'll feel the same way about the VMW washers.  Nah.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yep, when cotter pins fixed wig-wag plungers and Maytag dryers had two belts.

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Roger that.  When the dryer customer said it was an old Kenmore I had to see if it was the Lady Kenmore dryer with the two belts and the blower located in center rear bulkhead.  Figured if I couldn't repair it I'd sell him a new dryer and haul off the old one.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

click on picture
th?id=H.4941300787185266&pid=15.1

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Worked on and sold many of these. This should have the air freshner bottle next to the lint screen.

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Don't forget the germicidal ballast lamp that was supposed to kill germs.

Scott Wolf

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Still see a lot of the Hobart made dishwashers.  Dispenser bi-metals and some controls still available.  Not so lucky with the motors.  Haven't seen any belt driven Maytag dishwashers for years.  Put a Robertshaw thermostat in an old GE frig with the unit on top a few years ago.  Never know what you'll run into in the field.

#8 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

How did WCI make front load washers for 50 years that 1) did not smell, even with the doors kept closed. 2) used non HE soap 3) bearings never failed? What were the ever gracious government regulations then? Oh yeah. None!

#9 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have alone of those MAYTAG DW belts still, and a Wig-Wag if anyone needs them. I just can't seem to let them go. Remember trying to tell a customer that their washer needed a new Wig-Wag? They thought you were feeding them a line of BS. "What's next, I need a new Flux Capacitor?"

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again is insane"

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

... "What's next, I need a new Flux Capacitor?"

maybe needs a Johnson Rod

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

Been trying to pull the service van into the warehouse and pull all of the old stuff off the shelf's........About 6 months ago, I replaced a Wig- Wag assy. on a customers well kept K/M labeled washer........I always cut the part number off the box/bag, put it into my pocket and when I get back to the office , I pull out the slip and add it to the purchase list ( truck stock ).............I looked at the slip and the now slim chance I will need a Wig-Wag assy  soon, so, I just dropped the slip into the recycle box.......I will order a new one when the need arises................I will still carry a Whirlpool D/D pump, but I think I will pull all three different P/N Maytag, belt driven pumps off the van.................Pull all of the Frigidaire front -loader parts ( speed control boards, pumps )..........30 different P/N start paks for older refers, I will keep, I think................Also been looking at all the older parts that have been in the van for over three years,  Cast iron and alum. condenser fan motors ......old Maytag dryer elements............It will be the day, when I do a washer and the Lady sez, "The dryer quit heating  this morning and I knew you were already coming over...Could you fix-it?????"........I just know it will be that flat heater and thermostat assy I had just removed two days  ago........32 miles one way......... :wacko: .

#12 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

You know it's gonna happen, ctg.  As soon as you take that old WPL evaporator fan motor or GE defrost timer off of the truck, you're gonna need it for an add on job the following week.

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,044 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Man, you guys are old. lol
Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,044 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Remember trying to tell a customer that their washer needed a new Wig-Wag? They thought you were feeding them a line of BS. "What's next, I need a new Flux Capacitor?"

I guess it's like the look you get when you tell someone they need a new jazz board.
Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#15 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Thursday, a slow day , it  was........Took the van to the warehouse and pulled everything ( in boxes ) off the van's shelf's.........First time since I bought the van in '06...........Started to rearrange the boxes of stuff............Listed by generic name......22 valves ( not counting the 10+ bagged valves in their tub )........14 ignitors.......7 elements........5 water filters.......7 pumps........9 overload/relays,  ( not counting the 25+  bagged in the 'Refer" tub) ............5 I/Ms'............4 G.E defrost heaters....................   This is not even started on the five tubs the hold all of the small items....................The wife is going to break down the lists,      Valves.....I/M........A/W.....Refer......................Ignitors.....Dryer......range..............................with costs -- Whole sale/ retail..........................This is not even listing the 20+ motors.................20+ boxes of " single Items"......W/P- D/W chopper.......................5+ Oven sensors..........3 with no labels...........

Edited by certified tech group 51, 23 August 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#16 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

The More Things Change---The More They Remain The Same (sometimes).

If Appliantology and the internet were around in 1982....

POST:  I have a 7 year old Whirlpool washer that occasionally will not spin.

So far I've replaced the "Wigwag"---theTimer  and Lid Switch---no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

REPLY:  Thoroughly examine the *wires* on the left side of the "Wigwag" for damage/chaffing.

In many cases---there will be internal damage to at least one of the wires (not visible).

Test both wires for continuity using a multimeter.

Have an assistant wiggle the wire at the area of the "wigwag"---where the wires enter through the hole at the top of

the "wigwag".

If one of the wires is at fault/damaged---replace the entire section of the wire from the "wigwag"---up to the side of the

Water Tank.

If a splice/repair is done at the "wigwag"---the probability of a repeat failure will be high---due to the motion/movement

of the wiring during a cycle.

Replacing the wire---and splicing at the side of the Water Tank---ensures a more permanent/successful repair.

Today...

POST: My 2007 LG washer is showing an "LE" error---The correct type and amount of detergent is being used---I've replaced the Hall Effect Sensor---the Main Board---the Stator---Tub Bearings. No luck.

REPLY: Replace the Wire Harness at the rear of the washer---which runs/routes from a plug connector at the base of the washer---to the Stator and Hall Sensor plugs.

Excessive movement of this wiring---during a cycle---has likely caused a break/damage---within one of the wires---which may not be visible.

Edited by john63, 23 August 2013 - 10:29 AM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics