Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Coldspot slow ice production

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator, model  no. 106.56176500.  It stopped making ice so I did some research figured out the ice maker module had a problem.  I bought a new ice maker module and replaced it.  It made ice so I thought all was well.  The next day after work, ice maker installed 24 hrs, I thought the ice bucket should be full but nope, just a handful of ice cubes.  It makes ice but only about one cylce a day, thats 5 cubes of ice a day.  Any ideas on why the slow production.  Did I get a bad ice module?  This model has the excerator ice mode that used to make the ice maker git up and go but that doesn't make a difference.  We took a trip over the weekend and when we got back the ice bucket was no fuller than when we left, I turned on excel ice and it made 1 cycle in 12 hours.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

what's the actual Freezer temperature ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

Always check freezer temp first when you have an icemaker complaint. An icemaker is like a canary in a mineshaft. It can be a warning sign of a major refrigerator problem on the horizon.

btw, what tests or observations led you to the conclusion to just replace the module?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

It is set at 0 but I will put a thermometer in the freezer this afternoon and see what it says.  Thanks.

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

What size are the cubes?  If too small they could slipping through the ejector rod causing it to bind against the stripper.

#6 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

The cubes are normal size.  Last night I caught it ejecting, seemed to work good, went back and checked it about 15 minutes later and the ice maker had refilled the tray and they had a thin layer of ice on top.  This morning it didn't seem like it had dropped any ice.  I will check the temp and dump the ice bin completely and start counting cubes as they fall.

#7 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

it could be a problem with the icemaker t-stat or heater. If freezer temps are 5 degrees and its that slow making ice its best to change the icemaker assembly. 

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

It's usually not worth the few dollars you save by replacing the module as oppose to replacing the entire icemaker. Plus it would have taken the icemaker thermostat and mold heater out of the picture as potential problem areas and we would then be concentrating on your freezer temps/evap frost pattern.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

Looks like this model uses one of the 5-cube stubby icemakers:  http://www.repaircli...er=106.56176500

Ice-Maker-Assembly-W10190961-00856931.jp

#10 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

I changed the ice maker because the old one wasn't making any ice now the new one is slow.  I checked yesterday and it seems the new module is making about 10 cubes in a 12 hour period.  The temp in the freezer is -1.

I thought the original unit was slow but not this slow.  I'm afraid I have a bad replacement unit.

#11 ncc1701e

ncc1701e

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

The ice maker basically needs three things to work: water, electricity, and a freezing environment. I am assuming you're ok on water and electricity. That leaves the freezing environment  as some have suggested above. -1 certainly sounds cold enough but just to rule out the possibility that temp isn't the issue. I would turn it down a few degrees and wait another day to see what happens. The only other thing I can think of is the ice maker mold heater. I have seen a case where the heater was iffy and would not heat consistently although this is a rare occurrence. You can check to see if the bottom of the mold gets warm/hot to the the touch while you catch it dropping some ice but you would have to touch it very carefully as you would want to touch the heater directly they get very hot.

#12 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'll give that a try.  I have it set to 0 now so I'll try -2.  If the heater gets that hot then I should be able to feel the heat through the plastic cover on the bottom of the module.

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

I changed the ice maker because the old one wasn't making any ice now the new one is slow.  I checked yesterday and it seems the new module is making about 10 cubes in a 12 hour period.  The temp in the freezer is -1.

I thought the original unit was slow but not this slow.  I'm afraid I have a bad replacement unit.

Was the icemaker assy replaced or just the module?

#14 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I replaced the icemaker assembly.

#15 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

I replaced the icemaker assembly.

new ?

eBay ?

original Whirlpool FSP ?

#16 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

I bought it through Amazon, box said Whirlpool Authorized Part, but I know that doesn't mean much.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm thinking of having my local appliance parts dealer order me one, it's just takes them longer than Amazon, that way if it's local it's easy to swap.

I cranked the freezer down to -2 but before the old one quite working it did well at 0.

#17 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

I bought it through Amazon, box said Whirlpool Authorized Part, but I know that doesn't mean much.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

link you provided shows
"Ships from and sold by Amazon.com"

which may be OK, since it isn't from a third party seller, etc.

(unless you clicked on one of those links)

Although I don't know what Amazon does with customer returned units ...

re-sells without testing ? ?

#18 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

I bought it from them, not any of the side links.  Who know what they do with returns.  They are easy with returns so I'm going to return it as defective and try one from the local parts store.  Thanks for the help everyone.

#19 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

I finally got another ice maker assembly from my local appliance parts house.  The one I bought from Amazon would make ice for several days then decide not to for several.  The new is not much better.  I bought a whirlpool icemaker from the local parts house.  My freezer temp is set to -1.  I placed a know good thermomemter in the freezer and have checked it periodiacally over the last several weeks.  The freezer stays consistantly around -1.  The new ice maker took 24 hours to make any ice.  3 days this week it would make of ice a day.  Yesterday it made 4 batches.  Today it made 1 batch.  We barely have enough ice to use each day.  The bin is still no more than 1/4 full of ice.  Is there something else.  The ice maker is filling up with water, the freezer is staying consistantly at -1, the ice ejects.  I don't know what else to check.  Is there some other control function that would affect production?  This fridge has the "acceler-ice" feature, it makes ice faster when you set it in that mode, when the bin is full it switches to normal.  Basically makes the freezer run a lot.  I have pressed that button twice and it will stay on most of the day then go off, it doesn't speed up ice production as it used to do.

Any ideas?

#20 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

If it's getting water, it should make the ice.

When the Ice-mold gets down to about +15F, the IceMaker should "harvest" the Ice

Are all the Cubes full size ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics