Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Coldspot slow ice production

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

I just looked and all the cubes are the same size.  It seems the cubes stay in the mold for a long time.  I just timed it and these have been frozen in the mold for at least 40 mintues.  Could the IR sensor be sending false readings to the maker?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,441 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Is water coming out of the water dispenser? If not, maybe a clogged filter

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#23 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

yes, sir, we get water out of the water dispenser

I turned the thing down another degree and the thing has made a lot of ice today!  It's actually half full.  Maybe that is all it needed.  I'll check the level again in the morning and give a update.

#24 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Are there any thirsty teenagers with lots of friends around? For unless your thermostat is way off, there should not be that much of a difference based on those temps , so long as they are bellow 11 degress. There may be something else going on. This is a prime case for temperature data logging.

#25 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

no teenagers here, we use some ice but not much, I'm afraid something is happening with the freezer as well, I will have to find a data logger somewhere

any recommendations on finding one

#26 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

Perhaps the electric eye board is faulty, the ice maker is only energized when that board says "go"! Part 4389102

#27 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

Perhaps the electric eye board is faulty, the ice maker is only energized when that board says "go"! Part 4389102

You could be right but if it was the optics, there should not be such a difference in ice production due to freezer settings so long as the temps are below 11f. I suspect the temps rise above that number during defrost, door openings, fridge cold control satisfied etc then takes a while to drop below 11f. But when he sets the freezer thermostat really low, it doesnt rise above 11f as often thus lots of ice. Just a theory.. Data logger will tell the tale.

btw, you could bypass the optics just to rule it out before you spend additional money

Here is a logger I use
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B004XS1HW0

#28 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'd like to bypass the optics and see what happens.  How would I do that?

I'm still going to try a data logger.

#29 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

my wife has a good theory, when we get up in the morning or come home from a trip and open the fridge door, the ice maker dumps ice.

this morning I got up and checked the freezer for ice, no new ice all night, we used up the half full level yesterday and now it only has a few cubes in it, the mold had ice in it, that was 30 minutes ago, she just came in and opened the fridge and the ice maker dumped ice

If I can determine how to bypass the optics I'll give that a try and I'll get a data logger

#30 ncc1701e

ncc1701e

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

You can try getting a data logger but that will only tell you if the temperature in the freezer goes out of bounds. Some other simple solutions (that will require patience, but get to the heart of the matter which is whether power to the ice maker is being interrupted) that I can think of are.

1. Remove ice maker from freezer, connect a simple clock to the icemaker's connectors and place clock on top of fridge and set time of day into it. Check clock next few days, if it resets and flashes 12:00 o clock or lags behind you know that power to the ice maker circuit was lost and this must be investigated.

2. Remove ice maker water fill pipe from the back of the fridge and point it into a bucket overnight. The volume of water collected can then be observed and you can fill the ice maker's mold with the collected water and dump the water from the mold and refill and dump and ..... this way you can see how many times the ice maker called for ice during the night. This will indicate not only that ice maker cycled regularly but also that water delivery system to ice maker was good all throughout as well at least until the fill tube.

3. This solution requires waaaaay too much patience so it may not be the best. Remove leads from water solenoid and connect a simple light bulb to them and see if the bulb cycles with regular periodicity throughout the day, if so then ice maker is calling for water regularly.

These are somewhat crude solutions but I am a huge fan of simplicity when devising solutions. Also, I assume you know your way around electricity well enough to implement these solutions. Others may have even better ideas but I just thought I'd throw my two cents out on it.

#31 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

The ice maker has been changed and the same thing is happening. That pretty much rules out the icemaker. However it may not be calling for water due to temps only occasionally reaching 11f. Adding that to the symptom that it produces more ice when the freezer temps are lowered way down. This eliminates solenoid, and water delivey system as well. It does however suggests a possible temp problem. That type of problem us best ferreted out with a logger. Freezer temps being out of bounds will slow or prevent ice harvesting.

The clock test is interesting but it will not work on the indoor ice system since the icemaker is not constantly under power like the standard design. Although I love using simple procedures to test, with these new appliances, that's like bringing a pea shooter to a gun fight.

#32 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'd like to bypass the optics and see what happens. How would I do that?

I'm still going to try a data logger.

okay...unplug the fridge then remove the optics control located on the right side of the freezer

disconnect the harness.... take a small piece of wire and insert one in into the connector that corresponds to the black and white wire and another that corresponds to the black wire. Use tape to secure the wires.. Plug fridge back in.

If your fridge is dumping ice when you open the fridge door, maybe your ice bucket isn't seated properly and the cut outs at the top of the bucket aren't aligned properly with the optical beam. Slight jarring of the door may align it enough to allow harvesting.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 11 May 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#33 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

I've got the jumper in place now.  I'll see what it does.

#34 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Sometimes ice gets stuck before dropping into the bin causing the ice maker to pause. Do you ever see one cube hanging up next to fill cup? Just want to make sure we are not missing something simple. Some ice makers have a gap between last fin on right and fill cup. Later production on the full size ice makers eliminated this gap. A cube can get stuck there. It could be when you open the door it falls and then can go into harvest. If this is not the issue it could still be bad optics, maybe opening the door wakes up the optics. Your jumper test should tell us more

#35 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Good observation JJ! I have to remember that one.

#36 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

nothing has happened.   I used a paper clip at first but I really don't think it was making contact.  I got a 18 gauge piece of wire, made a jumper and plugged it in between the black & white wires.  I plugged in fridege and nothing, fridge light still off, checked breaker and it had blown.  I  switched breaker on and it immediatley tripped to off.  I removed the jumper and tried breaker and it works.  So when jumper is installed it trips the breaker for the fridge.

What does that mean?

#37 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Okay....do you have a black wire with white on it? then jump that wire with the black wire

#38 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

yes, I'll give that a try

#39 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

jumper is now betwen black and black/white, no sparks and breaker is happy, fridge is running now

#40 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

is there Ice or water in the ice maker mold?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics