Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Washer (Direct-Drive) - intermittent spin problems until now - coupler looks ok

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

I have a top load Kenmore Washer (Model # 11022632100) that I was having intermittent problems in the spin cycle, until today, - sometimes the clothes would be soaking wet, usually when it was a full, heavy load (towels, blankets, and so on). I figured it was the drive-coupler since I just replaced the lid switch about 3 or 4 months ago, along with the timer (although that was a mistake on my part) but after breaking down the machine and looking at the coupler I don't think that it is the coupler, which seems to be in great shape considering that I have 5 kids (3 of which are girls that change clothes 5 times a day!) and a dog so the washer is used frequently, well, closer to constantly.

if its not the coupler, the lid switch or the timer - where should I go from here?

the only thing that really stood out to me when I took out the motor and coupler is the presence of a black residue substance behind the motor mount plate as well as in the notch area where the coupler connects to the transmission assembly as well as on the assembly itself. It looks somewhat like coffee grounds or a powder but it is not granular at all. There is also a foam-type gasket, seal, or padding that is on the transmission assembly housing that I can easily move around with just my finger.

At this point I don't want to go out a spend money replacing parts unnecessarily but I am not sure when to go and/or what to look for. The other common issues for this type of machine are (1) the drive block, (2) the clutch, (3) the clutch band kit, (4) the motor, or (5) the bearing(s).

I'm not sure how to go about checking each of these possible problems, which order to check and how to verify if something really needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

... intermittent problems in the spin cycle, until today

... along with the timer (although that was a mistake on my part)

1) until today, what's it doing today ?

2) why was it a mistake ?

and, was it a new Timer ?

OR eBay ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

I would put the machine in empty and see if it spins. is motor running or is it locked up. If it does spin, can you easily stop it from spinning with the palm of your hand? You shouldn't be able to, and you run a good chance of getting hurt if the clutch is fine. 

*I would put the machine into spin cycle, empty, and see if it spins

Edited by RussTech, 24 July 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#4 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

1) until today, what's it doing today ?

2) why was it a mistake ?

and, was it a new Timer ?

OR eBay ?

today it stopped after washing 2 blankets (not very big or heavy - even when wet) it stopped spinning at all - no matter what cycle I tried

before today it would still spin most of the time, although we had quite using the heavy duty cycle about 6 months ago

the timer was new (expensive too) but I ended up switching it out even after I identified the lid switch as the culprit because I broke the little black plastic tab that goes in the back of the timer

I tried rerunning the a cycle with the blankets still in it - no spin

then took everything out and tried several different spin cycles - no spin

the agitator was working fine though - however I didn't pay much attention to it today because it had completed the wash and rinse cycles without a hitch

#5 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

I would put the machine in empty and see if it spins. is motor running or is it locked up. If it does spin, can you easily stop it from spinning with the palm of your hand? You shouldn't be able to, and you run a good chance of getting hurt if the clutch is fine. 

*I would put the machine into spin cycle, empty, and see if it spins

it doesn't spin during the spin cycle at all but how do I tell if the motor is running or locked-up, just by sound?

What about the black residue underneath - could there be a leak or something rubbing underneath?

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

... how do I tell if the motor is running or locked-up, just by sound?

yes

does it Pump the Water out after the Agitate cycle ?

#7 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

yes
does it Pump the Water out after the Agitate cycle ?

yes the water is pimped out after the agitate cycle

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

what happens after the water is Pumped out ?

continues to Pump for the rest of the Wash cycle ?

#9 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

I haven't had any problems during the wash cycle  (water is in, when done water is pumped)

I haven't had issues with the pump during the rinse cycle

the problem is the Spin cycle - essentially

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

the Pump-out is a portion of the Spin cycle...

What happens after the water is actually Pumped out ?

Does it continue to Pump ?
OR does the Washer Motor "hum" OR stop completely ?

#11 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

ok...i'll put the machine back together to test out exactly what the motor is or isn't doing and when they occur

Thanks for help thus far!

I am planning on an early start and I will post the results as soon as i can.

Thank you so very much for your help

#12 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

the Pump-out is a portion of the Spin cycle...

What happens after the water is actually Pumped out ?

Does it continue to Pump ?
OR does the Washer Motor "hum" OR stop completely ?

good day everyone!

i put the washer back together this morning and tested it out (i replaced nothing, just cleaned everything up a bit and put it all back together)

here is what happened:

FIRST TEST

I tried starting the washer in a Spin Cycle

RESULTS:

- got nothing, absolutely nothing - no sound or action of any kind

SECOND TEST

I set the washer (empty) to a small load on a short 6-min normal wash and started it

RESULTS:

- Wash Cycle

- the water filled up normally and upon reaching the proper level the agitator turned on and worked as usual

- the cycle proceeded as normal, the water was drained/pumped out without a problem, the motor turned on and remained on throughout

- however the washer basket never moved

- Rinse/Spin Cycle

- again, the water filled normally and the agitator turned on and worked as usual

- again, the water was drained/pumped out without a problem, the motor turned on and remained on throughout

- however the washer basket never moved until towards the very end of the cycle, the basket did start to turn very slowly and appeared to be ramping up before stopping

Throughout the entire cycle the motor sounded normal during each cycle, i could hear the difference between when it should be draining, filling, agitating, rinsing, spinning however the basket simply didn't turn except for the one time

Could it still be the coupler even though the agitator still works?

Not sure how to proceed at this point...

(i took some pics of the washer when it was apart and i recorded each part of the test cycles today but can't seem to figure out how to upload them here)

#13 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

After it drains, the motor must pause to disengage the neutral drain. Does it pause after drain and then start again? Run it with the cabinet off and lid switch bypassed. Observe the clutch hub. In spin mode it should be spinning. If it isn't, the gearcase is bad assuming the motor is actually running (rotating). If it is spinning, the problem is with the basket drive. Either the brakes are sticking, the drive block is worn out, clothing stuck between the tubs...etc.

Eric

WhirlpoolClutchHub.jpg

#14 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

After it drains, the motor must pause to disengage the neutral drain. Does it pause after drain and then start again? Run it with the cabinet off and lid switch bypassed. Observe the clutch hub. In spin mode it should be spinning. If it isn't, the gearcase is bad assuming the motor is actually running (rotating). If it is spinning, the problem is with the basket drive. Either the brakes are sticking, the drive block is worn out, clothing stuck between the tubs...etc.

Eric

WhirlpoolClutchHub.jpg

i did as you suggested and observed the clutch hub during the spin cycle and it is spinning without any problem

while observing the clutch hub i could see a some of the brake cam driver - should that be?

so it appears that it is either the clutch/brake cam driver or the drive block?

#15 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yes, the tab on the brake cam driver sticks down into the clutch hub to make contact with the tab on the clutch band. If the brake cam driver wasn't spinning, the clutch is slipping. It could just be a worn clutch. Take the agitator out and check the condition of the drive block. Make sure the grooves in the block are intact as well as the tabs on the spin tube. If your agitator has the fabric softener dispenser on it, you will need to take the clip and plastic washer off of the agitator shaft to see the top of the drive block.

Eric

WhirlpoolDriveBlock.jpg

#16 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

do i need to take off the spanner nut off or is there another way to see the drive block?

i am down to the what u have in the picture and there is a lot of oil inside the agitator and the transmission drive - not sure if that is normal

#17 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

You don't have to take the tub nut off to see the top of the drive block. It's on in the picture. Clean the crud out so you can see it.

Eric

#18 Mustang64

Mustang64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

the drive block looks ok but the shaft seal/gasket inside that goes between the transmission and drive shaft (at the top) looks really bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics