Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frost Inside My Refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ProsperBarb

ProsperBarb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Shiner

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi. We were give a GE Monogram side by side refrigerator by some friends, model # ZFSB27DAGSS.  We have frost inside our refrigerator by the vent where the temperature controls are (eggs that are near that area have frozen), as well as frost in a circular shape on the indside of our vegetable drawers on the side.

We have tried adjusting the temperature control.  Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

When frost or ice is observed anywhere in a refrigerator the first thing to check for is warm air intrusion.  Make sure door gaskets are not damaged and are sealing properly to the cabinet.  Check ice door at dispenser for seal.  Even if it looks like it's closing shine a flashlight up into the funnel and look down into the chute from the inside.  Shouldn't see any light.  Check the condenser coil and fan motor for proper air flow.  Any frost or ice beads in the freezer?  How about other items freezing in the refrigerator compartment, particularly down in the crisper drawers?

#3 ProsperBarb

ProsperBarb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

The seals around the door seem fine.  Yes, light is coming through the ice dispenser; that was another issue - are the 2 related, with the frost in the fridge, and the ice dispenser in the freezer?

Not sure about the condenser coil and fan motor - how do I check those?

No frost beads in the freezer.  And yes, a couple of things have frozen in the crisper drawer.

Thanks again.

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Both are related.  There is a solenoid that is responsible for opening the ice door when the lever is pressed.  That solenoid, which is located behind the dispenser assembly, may have corroded and is not allowing the ice door to close properly.  This will allow warm air to enter the freezer and cause condensation for form at the air passages to the refrigerator section which eventually turns to frost.  You see the frost at the air control in the crisper drawer.  That frost will also form at the freezer control which is also the damper where cold air is circulated from the freezer to the refrigerator section.  The damper could be stuck allowing too much cold air to enter.  By fixing the ice door and defrosting the freezer control damper the frost should go away and temperatures should return to normal.  The condenser is accessed from the bottom rear or possibly by removing the grille from the front.  The condenser fan has to be able to circulate air through the condenser and keep the compressor from overheating.  As long as the condenser is kept clean the fan and compressor will work fine.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

That solenoid, which is located behind the dispenser assembly, may have corroded and is not allowing the ice door to close properly.  

Common problem in these dispensers:  http://www.repaircli...ber=ZFSB27DAGSS

Dispenser-Solenoid-WR62X107-01253353.jpg

Part number: AP2071983

Part number: AP2071983

#6 ProsperBarb

ProsperBarb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Thanks so much for y'all's help.  I'll pass this info on to my husband. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics