Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Miele washing machine ?balance problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pcworth

pcworth

IkkĊ-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Morland "Old Speckled Hen"; Guinness draught

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

We have a Miele Novatronic W918 (New Zealand, model number may be different from US) washing machine, which has now  given sterling service for about 14 years.  Recently is has developed an intermittent but alarming symptom, which only seems to occur when a particular combination of four bathroom towels are being washed by themselves.

At certain points in the cycle, when the drum is changing direction at slow speed, a number of very violent bangs occur, with associated jolts that may physically move the machine on the floor.  The severity of this activity seems to be worsening, and is enough to frighten the dog!

It seems to indicate an imbalance problem, although the four towels concerned are not overly bulky, and whenever I look into the drum, they always seem reasonably evenly distributed.  When I spin the empty drum passively, there is smooth running, and I cannot induce any banging if I shake the drum on its suspension.  During all other (more loaded) washing cycles, there is no problem.

I am aware that there is a weighted balance system on these washers, but I do not understand how they work.  The violence of the aberrant movement makes me wonder whether some weight could have come loose, but if that was the case, I would expect it to be evident at other random times.......?

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on what this problem might be, and what if anything I can do to check or remedy it.

Regards,

Peter 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics