Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Customer's annoying dogs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I had a customer the other day who didn't have the decency to put her annoying yip yap dog in another part of the house, so when it came time for her to pay the bill, I told her I would be outside waiting for her.

I have zero patience with customers like that.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

No, I'm not afraid of your dog, but you better lock it in the other room anyway:

Sigh... Had one climb into the dishwasher to drink the moldy, un-drained, sludge...

One ate a couple of screws off of the floor, and another ran off with my screwdriver chew toy...

Geez lady, I told you to put the dog away...

Side note:  Did you ever have the urge to report some the pet hoarders/cat lady's that live in the god awful stench of  urine and feces? When is it the RIGHT thing to do?

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 26 July 2013 - 05:44 AM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,692 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Has anyone noticed that dogs in general have gotten a lot more annoying and ill-mannered these past few years?  I see this in people's homes and on the hiking trails.  I don't ever remember encountering so many yappy, fear-biter dogs.  Twice in the past year I've had to actually kick a customer's dog in the jaws because they were trying to bite me.  One customer actually got mad at me for defending myself!  

I've been hiking in the White Mountains for over 15 years, usually with a canine companion.  My dogs have always been good hiking dogs, have excellent trail etiquette, and are friendly to other people and dogs.  Used to be when you encountered other hikers with dogs, you could count on their dogs being similarly behaved.  But in recent years, it seems like every other dog we meet on the trail is either a female fear-biter or a yapper.  

I think they're mirroring the coarsening trend in human society in general.  Maybe people are more stressed because of the economy and the dogs are picking up on that.  I don't know what it is but it's definitely not a good trend.  

#4 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

I hear more people refer to them as "human" such as calling them their "kids." They won't discipline their animals just like they won't discipline their kids.

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Had to put my dog down earlier this year.  17 year old Maltese.  Spent thousand on the vet over the years and the dog ran the house and got to be a handful in her old age but I miss her everyday.  Won't get another dog because I can't take the heartbreak of losing one anymore.  Can't even watch the commercials for ACPA or Humane Association.  And on service calls where there's a dog or cat that is non-belligerent, I'll talk a little baby talk to the critter.  Helps put critter and customer at ease.

Now having said that, There was a call where there was a "nipper" that the customer corralled when I arrived to service a frosted up refrigerator.  As I was defrosting the evaporator with a heat gun the nipper escaped and instead of coming after me, began chewing on my extension cord.  Now my extension cord is a heavy duty appliance extension cord.  It was at this point Evil PDuff surfaced and watched the dog chew as I completed deicing the unit.  Fortunately I completed my work before the dog could "complete the circuit".

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,368 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I feel ya Pd, I'm still reeling from that psycho chick that stole my dog. Currently I get my dog fix from dog sitting my sister's maltese (the little dude is about 14 now) as well as playing with customer's dogs. Most of the time my customer's put their dogs in another room and many times I'm the one to tell them it's ok to releasd the hounds. I've only had one problem dog. An older Lab that would sit behind me and quietly growl. That unnerved me. The customer/tenant kept saying he won't bite. Eventually, I had to say "no restrain, no repair. "

The funnest dog was a border collie. He was so happy to see me each time I went to the customer's house. But when I try to leave, he'd go absolutely nuts. Customers say the dog is showing his border collie instincts and doesn't like it when people leave the "herd." Sure enough he would block the door and try to nudge me into the family room. Too cute!

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 J5

J5

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

dogs and kids

it doesnt happen that often but will tell people to get rid of the dog or the kid

especially if they are in my way or making too much noise

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Has anyone noticed that dogs in general have gotten a lot more annoying and ill-mannered these past few years?  I see this in people's homes and on the hiking trails.  I don't ever remember encountering so many yappy, fear-biter dogs.  Twice in the past year I've had to actually kick a customer's dog in the jaws because they were trying to bite me.  One customer actually got mad at me for defending myself!  

I've been hiking in the White Mountains for over 15 years, usually with a canine companion.  My dogs have always been good hiking dogs, have excellent trail etiquette, and are friendly to other people and dogs.  Used to be when you encountered other hikers with dogs, you could count on their dogs being similarly behaved.  But in recent years, it seems like every other dog we meet on the trail is either a female fear-biter or a yapper.  

I think they're mirroring the coarsening trend in human society in general.  Maybe people are more stressed because of the economy and the dogs are picking up on that.  I don't know what it is but it's definitely not a good trend.  

I would rather meet a big dog like Oz Man, rather than one of those noisy yip yap lap dogs.  My uncle had 3 German Shepherds and all 3 of them were very docile and never did anything to harm anyone.  The little dogs?  they are always so nervous that you think they are ready to rip your legs apart.

Scott Wolf

#9 J5

J5

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

I would rather meet a big dog like Oz Man, rather than one of those noisy yip yap lap dogs.  My uncle had 3 German Shepherds and all 3 of them were very docile and never did anything to harm anyone.  The little dogs?  they are always so nervous that you think they are ready to rip your legs apart.

i agree with that

i am always careful with bigger dogs but they are usually ok , look em in the eye and the understanding is there

smaller dogs are the ones that sneak around  take a bite , never ever trust the small dogs , the smaller they are the less you trust them

#10 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

Usually the big dogs are fine after you mark your territory, either on the customer or in their water bowl.  After that we have an understanding.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

Usually the big dogs are fine after you mark your territory, either on the customer or in their water bowl. After that we have an understanding.

You can also establish your dominance by humping..... either on the customer or the dog. But as a professional, you must do this only for the purposes of establishing domination, nothing more.

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

... I hear more people refer to them as "human"

You know your wife misses you, when . . . .

. . . you come home . . . and your dog is smiling . . .  :whistling:

Never trust a smiling dog.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

"Honey, what happened to the rest of the peanut butter"?

#14 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

screw the dogs, have you seen the customers kids lately??Went on a totally frosted up WP sxs during the heat wave. Little johnny had been hanging off the doors. unit was totally iced up every passage blocked.The little bastard was opening and closing the doors even as I was working on it. I walked away, told her to leave the doors open and unplugged for another 24 hrs. 

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#15 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

It seems that the younger the parents, the less disciplined the children.  I'll be working on a refrigerator and the parents are hiding in the bedroom leaving the kids in the kitchen with me, grabbing shelves and parts and tools, etc.  I'll take back the parts and tools and tell the kids to keep the refrigerator shelves, which they promptly hide in their bedroom, under the couch, or bury in the backyard.  When young Mom and Pop finally emerge from their room and ask where the shelves and bins are, I'll reply, "I think the kids took them", and smile as the beatings commence.

I think Rodney Dangerfield sums it up best:  "Now I know why lions eat their young".

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

Telefunken and Pduff, a while back I posted a proven tactic for your situation:

From http://appliantology...harbor-freight/

"These nonflammable noncorrosive stainless steel cable ties make quick work out of securing loose defrost heaters or evaps. 25 for about 6 bucks. Don't think they transfer heat well enough to use to keep defrost drain tube open after securing to a defrost heater. Otherwise very useful. steelties.jpg
At 150 lbs working load they also come in handy when playing a quick game of cops and robbers with that customer's young'un who keeps going into your tool bag. "Zip....Zip" and instant handcuffs on the little thief. Keep telling him it's a game until you can make your getaway.

http://www.harborfre...ties-69413.html

Maximum loop diameter:3-5/8"

Not sure if those ties are still a available, but the plastic ones work just as well.

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 15 August 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#17 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Gotta love Harbor Freight, Durham.  Lemme know when they have the combination temp gun and tazer.  I'll double up.

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

I was doing a service call the other day, 3 Chihuaha puppies and of course the customer had to leave them locked in a cage right next to the washer I was working on. The urge was there to take the cage and put them in the backyard.  The whole time I was there  "YIP YIP YAP YIP YIP SQUEAK YIP YIP". I wanted to take a bucket of water and throw it on the dogs!

Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics