Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Newbie- bought a large open display fridge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ycon

ycon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

Hi,

So I went on on a whim and bought a commercial fridge for a business I'm starting. It's quite daunting!  :wacko: 

I knew it was a risk when I bought it, but the buyer assured me the fridge had worked fine last time he used it (over a month ago). Even with delivery, the price was absurdly low.

It was transported from about 90km's away and it was stored upright. I have not turned it on.

I am not in a rush to have it all fixed up, as I have not opened my business yet.

It's the "IARP 180 Shelly" (link). Only difference is that my fridge has stainless steal above the front grills (others are while). 

1. Basically- what kind of thing am I in for-should I get it serviced now? Does it just need a good clean up? Anything to look/listen out for?

2. Should I turn it on? It's in my yard (will protect with plastic), so maybe it's better to try at night when it's colder outside?

3. It will be used mainly during the day (12 hours) then be empty overnight. Is there any benefit in switching it off overnight (to save energy)? Or would it be pointless as it would have to 'cool' itself back down everyday?

I plan to 'renovate' it quite a bit- but I can give more details about that later

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ycon

ycon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

I've uploaded some pictures- please give advice if you can. Cheers

http://postimg.org/g...abaqa/4668bf3f/

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

... transported from about 90km's away and it was stored upright. I have not turned it on.
... Is there any benefit in switching it off overnight (to save energy)?
... what kind of thing am I in for-should I get it serviced now? 

... Anything to look/listen out for?

1) was it transported upright ? ...  if not, should be stored upright at least 24 hrs before running Compressor.

2) no, Fridges usually take 24 hrs or more to reach optimum temperature

3) I'm not sure.. we'll both have to do some research ..

3) plug it in, and after a few hours, check the frost pattern of the Evaporator Coils

post pictures ?

May be expensive to run ...

on-line info says

3.3 KWh / 24 hrs

which, at .10 per KWh, wound cost about $ 3 / day

OR $ 100 month

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 ycon

ycon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for the response-really appreciate it.

Yes-it was transported upright. I will switch it on shortly. What do the evaporator coils look like?

I've had a look-and it looks like it's from 1998. Is it too old? Or would this have a long life?

It does seem costly to run-which is why I'm considering switching it off overnight. But it end up being expense as the fridge would have to cool itself back down from a warm environment every day?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

... What do the evaporator coils look like?
... would have to cool itself back down from a warm environment every day?

1) the "fins" that get cold

2) may take 24 hrs or more to reach Fridge temperature

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 ycon

ycon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

So-I've finally turned it on. I'm very nervous. At first it made some noise (nothing sounding too unhealthy) and it was cooling! I left it about 10 minutes-and it had cooled (about 5 degrees) but there was no more noise. 2 issues- it look like there's steam (smoke? No smell so hope not!). Does say its a "heater" on the white part and there is a coil. Is it heating the water in the reservior? Secondly-the temperture control screen isnt lit up. Do I need to push Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
u4uqe8an.jpgeze2y8ej.jpg Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#7 ycon

ycon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Well what happened was it tripped the power board its on. I plugged both cords (single phase) into it. Just testing it again and it's cooling very fast-from 20' to 8' in a few minutes. Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics