Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Diagnosis of electronics in an LG dehumidifier

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RichieP

RichieP

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bass Ale

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Greetings, experts,

I have a model LHD30 dehumidifier that is about 6 years old. The last time I turned it on, nothing worked. No signs of life. The only light on the unit is the one that tells when the bucket is full. Previously, like a week ago, it was working great. At this time there is power to the common side of the compressor and to the printed circuit board. Also, about 18VAC at the transformer secondary. The range of resistance of the potentiometer that controls humidity level seems OK, though it is even more non-linear than I expected.

My questions are; how do I test the sensor/harness assembly, and, if it tests OK is there anything else other than the control board to replace?

This may be a hint - or a red herring. About 3 years ago the dehumidifier suddenly started to run almost continuously. Even when the air in the basement felt very dry and the rate of water accumulation became very slow it would run. What worked to deal with that situation was to set the humidity control just a few degrees of rotation above the 'off' position, for minimum humidity removal. Doing this, the dehumidifier would shut off at what seemed like a good enough level of humidity. Set any higher, it would never shut off. This is where the potentiometer would be approaching zero resistance. My guess was that this was a sign that one of the sensors was out of whack, but still, barely, within functioning range, and now it is completely gone. All that said, I would still like to know how to test these sensors and replace only what is needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

I can't find any specs on this one but you can at least test the thermistor for open/short.  

Here's another way to play it: 

Buy both the thermistor and the main PCB.  

Replace the thermistor.  If that fixes it, great-- return the main PCB for a refund.  

If it doesn't fix it, replace the main PCB.  You could return the thermistor but it's such a low value part you'll spend about as much on return shipping.  

Parts links:

Main PCB:  http://www.repaircli...delNumber=LHD30

Relay-Board-EBR39204301-01298987.jpg

Thermistor:  http://www.repaircli...delNumber=LHD30

Thermistor-6877A30013V-01074794.jpg

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Concur with Master Samurai, Brother Richie.  No diagnostics on your model.  Almost everytime I think it's just a bad sensor, it turns out to a bad pcb.  Replace both if feasible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics