Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
talfe

Whirlpool Icemaker has stopped working-HELP!

9 posts in this topic

Hi!  Our Whirlpool Refrigerator (model GS5SHAXNB01) has an icemaker that has stopped working.  I have tested the optics and that is working fine.  I notice there is a sheet of frozen ice caking the inside wall of the freezer as if the icemaker sprung a leak, but it will not function at all.  I have not tried a manual restart (I have to figure out how to get the icemaker out first).  Any clues as to what has happened?  If I need to give more info, I will.  Please let me know!  Take care!  Veronica

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

a sheet of ice caking the inside wall of the freezer? The back wall? If so you have a defrost problem, causing your temps to exceed the 15°f needed for the icemaker to work.

If ice is caking on the right wall of the freezer , then your icemaker fill spout/cup is frozen causing water to splash agaist that wall... possible but deffost problem is more likely. what are your freezer temps?

Hi Sho'Nuff Chozin!  I have put a thermometer in the freezer to confirm the temperature.  I will let you know!  Thanks!!  

According to the thermometer, it's hovering around 0 and -10 degrees.

... there is a sheet of frozen ice caking the inside wall of the freezer as if the icemaker sprung a leak,

pictures ?

and check the icemaker fill cup to see if it is iced up.... if so, when water comes out of the black spout it cannot enter the icemaker but instead splashes against the side of the freezer.

If you can squeeze the black rubber spout of the fill tube and feel no ice blockage there is another possibility.  I had the same scenario with another customer that had the ice sheet on the right side wall of the freezer around the emitter board.  I had to replace the icemaker for a damaged module but also had to replace the emitter/receiver boards, even though they seemed ok.  Turned out the customer had left the freezer door slightly ajar and the warm air intrusion caused ice to form at that location damaging the board.

and check the icemaker fill cup to see if it is iced up.... if so, when water comes out of the black spout it cannot enter the icemaker but instead splashes against the side of the freezer.

If you can squeeze the black rubber spout of the fill tube and feel no ice blockage there is another possibility.  I had the same scenario with another customer that had the ice sheet on the right side wall of the freezer around the emitter board.  I had to replace the icemaker for a damaged module but also had to replace the emitter/receiver boards, even though they seemed ok.  Turned out the customer had left the freezer door slightly ajar and the warm air intrusion caused ice to form at that location damaging the board.

Both of these are sublime pearls of wisdom and are the fruit of hand-to-machine combat by seasoned Appliantology veterans.  Domo for sharing!  

Hi!  Thank you all so much!!  I will check everything you have suggested!!  Take care!  Veronica