Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Replaced motor coupling and Broke again

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gipure

gipure

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

Hi, I have a Kenmore washer model 110.20722990 and it stop working, I replaced the motor coupling because it was broken. It worked great for 2 loads and it broke again. Can anyone suggest what could be wrong? I bought the coupling at a local part store. Thank you!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

One of these? This is a genuine FSP part in a bag that says so. Notice the metal ring around the holes; gently tap the halves onto the motor and tranny shafts until the shaft is flush with the coupler ring; then it's on far enough;use something as a drift so you're tapping on the middle. I also swap the four grommets on the motor from top to bottom. The bottom ones bear more pressure due to the weight of the motor. There are other topics on this issue with other pearls of wisdom :wink:

http://www.repaircli...285753A/1195967

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Usually the repeated breaking is caused by transmission failure, the gear case tries to spin and agitate at the same time. As it comes up to speed in spin, does it start making a loud rhythmic noise proportional to the increasing speed?
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Joshua Scholar

Joshua Scholar

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anchor Steam

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:55 AM

Warning, I bought a custom tool for removing those new metal couplers. It's called "coupler repair tool" and reliable parts sells them.

Without it, I had one transmission break because of all of the tapping with a screw driver it took to get a broken one out.  I actually had to buy the customer a new transmission!

Don't try to teach me how to be a better tech because I'll just tell you're being insulting. Just tell me which part to change, dammit!

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Brother Joshua.  I'm guessing that was the new reinforced coupling that gave you the trouble?

#6 Joshua Scholar

Joshua Scholar

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anchor Steam

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:19 AM

Yes it was.

Recently I tried buying a generic coupler that looks just like the fsp part, and it broke after only 2 months.  Now perhaps the customer overloaded it, he said he put more sheets in the machine than he meant to.

But I think I'm going to use the FSP part from now on.

Don't try to teach me how to be a better tech because I'll just tell you're being insulting. Just tell me which part to change, dammit!

#7 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

small parts like that you charge plenty & the profit margin IS there, not worth the hassle of aftermarket parts but Whirlpool has to come down on their prices.

I quit recommending them, wonder how many techs do the same.

Will also start a new thread on this. Went to a call on the new WLP  VM washer just as they came out, Had just taken the course armed with repair manual ran test, according to specs communication between motor & board, checked motor good, wiring harness good, must be board, RIGHT?

Because it was new,  part was factory order 2 weeks customer hated washer bought new & gave me said washer in witch it sat in my storage for 3 years.

Mothers 25 year old GE, old style, pump on top of clutch, trany had been leaking oil & finally crapped out. 

SOOO since i now know it was the Actuator that was bad in that WLP i swapped them.

I don't think it washes good but on top of that it started HOWLING during spin.  That my friends is the transmission, $180.00 my price.  Think Ill go buy a bottom of line LG front load LOL.

Yes I know I will take it apart & see about the gear drive.

I still don't think they wash good, NO RECIRCULATING PUMP,  I looked at it with top open I think the wear & tear on clothes with no water is bad.  The front load action is better than the new HE top loads.

After ALL the advances in technology, new material , computers etc, we went back to the way our great grandma used to do down the river, same wash action as a front load, " Life Is Really A Circle."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics