Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid 42" built-in fridge starts and stops constantly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 etherist

etherist

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:shiner bock

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi, y'all

I've got a 42" built-in fridge, model #KSSC42QTS02
It runs all the time, or nearlt all the time. I gather that's normal?
What worries me is that it cuts off and on constantly. Sometimes it will run for 5 seconds, then cuts off for half-second, then back on for a minute, then off for 30 secs, off, on for 2 minutes, etc. Maybe it has always dont this, but I notice now because every time it restarts it makes a little chirp like a frog peeping.

Is this normal for a fridge like this? It cools fine. I have the freezer on 4 degrees, fridge on 37. Keeps things plenty cold.

Thanks for any help

Oops I mean Kitchenaid. Brain fart.

And is it possible to clean the coils?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

that's a Fridge with an Inverter / Compressor

You'd need the service manual if you were going to diagnose it.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Does it by chance have a variable speed fan motor and a variable speed compressor. Sometime they will seem like they are running constantly and turning on and off. But they aren't, they're just slowing down and speeding up.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#4 etherist

etherist

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

I just took the upper cover off and watched for a while.  The fan is turning, then it stops for a half-second, not even to a stop, then immediately starts back up again.  Each cycle is a random length.  Just now when I was watching, it cycled for 15 seconds, then 2, then 30, then 5, then 5, then 10, then over a minute, then 5 seconds, then whatever.  It's constantly clicking on and off.

If y'all think this is something I can do myself?  Is there an easy part swap that might do it?

Or should I just wait for it to fail?  That seems like the wrong approach.  But what I'm afraid of is to pay $100 for someone to come to the house and tell me "nope, they all do that, get used to it."

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Open the doors for a few minutes to let both compartments warm up.  Then put the control into Max Cool mode.  The freezer should display -10F and the refrigerator 32F.  The evap fan motor should run at full speed and steady for more than an hour.  Report.  

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

As long as the unit is cooling properly and the control is displaying the correct temperatures you should be ok.  The condenser coil is accessible for cleaning by removing the front grille.  Doesn't sound like there is a problem with the Gemini or Niagra control boards in the upper unit but you can manually reset all controls by turning the entire unit off at the master on/off switch for 5 minutes and then back on again.  There is a 6-7 minute delay for the compressor to restart and then should run normally.

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

It sounds like the main control is dropping voltage to the condenser fan at times. Does the compressor continue to run when the fan quits? If so it may have a bad board.
"Suds are not good"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#8 etherist

etherist

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the diagnostic tips, have not had a chance to try those out yet.

Spannerwrench: I can't tell if the compressor keeps running after the fan stops, because the fan is basically always running.  When I say the fan "stops", it's for about half a second - the fan slows a little, but then it clicks back on right away.

I did use an infrared thermometer today to verify.  The fridge has been set to 37F in fridge, 4F in freezer for sevreal days.  Measured temps were 36-37 in fridge, but way too cold in freezer: -6F to - 12F.  The freezer is pretty full, but not so full that it is restricting airflow, I think.  I will beg my wife not to restock it quite so aggressively and see if the freezer side stays that cold.

#9 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

The fan can stall and then start right back up. But the compressor can't, if it looses voltage temporarily it wouldn't start right back up.
"Suds are not good"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics