Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore dryer- too hot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikeL

mikeL

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:fat tire amber aie

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

model 110.66912691

first the lowest of the four settings would act like medium/high, it's been that way for a year or more, we don't use it all that much.

Last night the dryer quit running while on the medium setting (2 of 4 ). Checked the clothes and they were really really hot. So it probably tripped on the high temp cutout.. Dryer started a bit later, but knowing something was wrong I stopped using it till I get it fixed.

I'm guessing the problem is the temp controller? I would assume the heating coil is working.

Is there a way to test the controller?

Or if I'm way off, please let me know.

Thanks lots,

mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 mikeL

mikeL

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Got the main element out. 10.11 ohms and does not touch anything.

Thanks lots for the disassembly video. It was a breeze. And it need a good cleaning anyway....

Awaiting your sage advice via liquid grain hydration.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

The Heating Element may be partially shorted o chassis / ground

Can be checked with an OHM meter.

OR set the Dryer to run an Air-fluff / no-heat cycle

and check to see that there is no heat.

also:

check and clean your Dryer Vents

Dryer Vent 4" diameter

Vent should be rigid metal.
Short lengths of flexible metal may be OK, if not crimped when moving the Dryer into place.
NO plastic
NO PVC
NO screws
Foil Duct Tape is OK.
With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F
Check / clean the Dryer Vent
Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.
Check the Vent air temperature at the back of the Dryer.

If you have a Harbor Freight Store near you,
$ 3.99 sometimes on sale for $ 2.99
image_1255.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 mikeL

mikeL

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

The above Ohm reading was on the bench. I inspected the coil and it's not touching the frame anywhere, No sign of hot spots.

Reinstalled element and checked from both terminals to the case, zero ohms for both.

We're lucky. Exhaust vent is less than 6 ft long. But I will check it for obstructions nonetheless.

Will have to re-assemble before checking temp.

Thanks for the thermometer link. Already have one tho. Will use it later.

Any way to check the temp controller?

Thanks PatOff.

#5 mikeL

mikeL

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

Dryer vent - no obstructions at all, while it's not like new, it's very clean.

I found the schematic. I put my ohmmeter on the two violet wires and the resistance jumped all over the place with slight movements of the switch in the lowest three positions. On High I had zero Ohms. I checked the two resistors on the connector at the back of the switch and they were +/- 50 ohms each, so OK there.

I'm gonna guess it's the temp selector switch.

Now how do I get that out?

#6 mikeL

mikeL

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Oh, just lift the tab and 1/8 turn get's the switch out. Google can be pretty cool sometimes.

Well, at this point I guess I'll get a replacement switch.

But if any of you can think of something I've missed, please let me know. Or if I'm out in left field all together, please chime in.

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

Really doubt it's the temp selector switch, (I've never seen one of those go out).  Check the ohms of the heater, (the two small wire connectors in the middle of the cycling t-stat - should be around 7000 ohms).

Also remove the cycling t-stat and clean it of all lint build-up, lint can get caked around them and insulate them from the heat flow and make them take long to open.

Most likely problem is the cycling t-stat is bad, (possible pitted and arched contacts sticking together and not opening at correct temp).

You can check the temp control switch by checking the voltage at the two small connectors in the middle of the cycling t-stat with the dryer running and heating on the high setting the voltage to the bias heater in the t-stat should be zero, next lower temp will be approx 50 volts AC, next lower approx 75 volts AC, lowest heat setting should be 110 volts AC.

There usually isn't a whole lot of range between each setting, (not unusual to see only around 5-10 degrees difference between each setting).

If you check the exhaust temp at the high setting and you are seeing temps above 165 degrees after heat has cycled on/off 2 or 3 times then you should replace the cycling t-stat, (after you have cleaned it and checked temps again).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Most likely problem is the cycling t-stat is bad, (possible pitted and arched contacts sticking together and not opening at correct temp).

Cycling t'stat:  http://www.repaircli...er=110.66912691

Cycling-Thermostat-3387134-00693205.jpg

#9 mikeL

mikeL

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Willie,

I'll check those things when I get back from work today.

#10 mikeL

mikeL

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Ah so, Great Fermented One, you've confirmed Willie's diagnosis as well. And thanks for the video. I'll follow that later this eve.

Domo,

mike

#11 mikeL

mikeL

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Due to the funky resistance readings I replaced the temp selector switch. The readings were too wonky. And due to the input of the Fermented One as well as Willie, I replaced the cycling t'stat as well.

All is working as it should. The t'stat was not overly caked with lint or anything, but the machine is about 20 years old so for the price of the parts I figured I got my money's worth.

Thank you all for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics