Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire top load washer bad bearing sound - transmission right?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Scholar

Joshua Scholar

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anchor Steam

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

I have a customer with a Frigidaire laundry center that's Kenmore branded about 10 years old, model number 417.94862301

It works perfectly except for a loud bad-bearing sound when it spins.  I took it apart to replace the seal (which drips ever so slightly) and see if I could see what causes the noise.  even with the drum out and the seal out it makes the noise.  Dropping oil in the spin tube makes no difference, same with that middle part where the transmission bolts on.

There's a bearing that's part of the transmission in that middle part isn't there?

I told the customer it needs a new transmission and I'll get one tomorrow morning. 

Was I right?

Reliable parts only has ONE transmission left.  Maybe they have more if there's an equivalent Frigidaire part instead of a Kenmore part.

Joshua Scholar

Don't try to teach me how to be a better tech because I'll just tell you're being insulting. Just tell me which part to change, dammit!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Kenmore/Sears doesn't make anything, this unit is made by Frigidaire.  Any parts looked up for this Kenmore unit and an exact same Frigidaire branded unit would come up with the same part numbers.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Joshua Scholar

Joshua Scholar

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

My main question was whether my diagnosis is right.

Don't try to teach me how to be a better tech because I'll just tell you're being insulting. Just tell me which part to change, dammit!

#4 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Transmissions are very common to go out in Frigidair TopLoaders. Almost more common than anything else it seems. Bad trans usually = condem... Especially on stack units.

Had a No drain situation a few weeks ago, sock in drain pump... After fiddling with the machine for about 45 mins we got the sock out and tested operation... Turns out the trans was shot also... Customer not happy we spent that much time just to condem.

#5 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Do you get the bad bearing sound in only one direction (ie spin or aggravate). Or both directions. How easily does it turn both directions when you turn the main pully by hand?

#6 Joshua Scholar

Joshua Scholar

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

No sound is agitate.

I took out the tub so I got to spin just the tube by itself, still loud.

er no sound ON agitate. 

I didn't try to make it agitate by hand though.

The tub only turns one direction though.

#7 Joshua Scholar

Joshua Scholar

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

The conclusion was that it was the transmission.

I replaced the transmission and the seal and it's fixed.

It's odd that the specific transmission for that model is in such short supply.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

Good job, Joshua!  

How'd the tranny replacement go?  Did you replace anything else while you were in there, tub bearing, seal, etc?

#9 Joshua Scholar

Joshua Scholar

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

The replacement went ok, but I seem to have lost my spring removal tool and reliable didn't have one...

So I had to ask the customer to help me when I took the inner and outer drum out and put it back in. On a stacked unit, there isn't space to pull the drum straight out, and it takes two hands to bend the springs enough to angle the shaft. Do you sell the spring removal/replacement tool?

And yes, I replaced the seal too.  the old one had shredded rubber at the top and was leaking a few drops each spin.

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Don't know if you have enough room in these to use the 2"x4" metal electrical boxes in these but If you've never heard of or tried this.   You move tub as far as you can in the opposite direction of the spring you're removing and slip the electrical box over the extended spring to keep it extending and do that on each spring.

Need to have three of the electrical boxes and then all springs should be easy to remove since they will be all held in an extended position.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

I was doing tub seal and transmission replacements on these laundry centers left and right while doing Frigidaire warranty service.  Not a whole lot of clearance to remove the inner tub.  Found it was easier to remove the bolts securing the tub to the trunnion and then remove.  When needing to remove the outer tub springs I just used a pair of linesman's pliers.  It was a chore but doable.  Used to be able to tell what day of the week it was by counting the cuts on my arms.

#12 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

the trick i do on the laundry centers is never touch the springs, just take the belt off, take the pulley off, take the 2 bolts that hold the trans to the milkstool and pull the tub, basket trany out as one and work on it then, no need to fight to get the inner tub out with the dryer fighting you.

#13 Joshua Scholar

Joshua Scholar

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Kohai, that makes sense, though I did find and buy some spring removal tools today.  Actually what makes this tool magic is when you have to get the spring back in. It's not child's play but it is a lot easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics