Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GFWH1400DWW Washer Fill Level Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NathanK

NathanK

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a new GE GFWH1400DWW washer. After installation I put in a test load including a dirty bathmat, a couple bath towels, and several hand towels from the kitchen. When I start the washer I can hear water flowing into the machine, I can hear it flush through the detergent chamber, and I can see a few droplets on the window, but there is no visible water level in the drum and the load does not come out clean at all.

I had a GE service tech come and look at it. He admitted that he had never worked on that machine before (beautiful) but he insisted that from what he could tell the machine was working correctly and there should only be an inch or so of water in the drum when the machine is running. He said we probably needed to keep the loads small, which makes no sense since it has a 4.1 cubic foot capacity and the load I put in was less than 1/4 that size.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? I even suggested to him that the adaptive fill sensor was malfunctioning and causing the water to shut off prematurely but he just said "nope it seems fine." I'm thinking maybe I need to try a bigger load to trigger the machine to use more water, or perhaps I can adjust the water fill level manually if I take the back off the machine and go digging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm just about ready to return this thing!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

May as well go ahead a return it...no way to adapt this machine to fill anymore than it does, short of filling it with a bucket (actually have a customer who does this Lol)...you willhave to look pretty hard to find a top loader that uses the amount of water you are used to..I have a WP top loader with a tall agitator (VMW platform) that I got for free and it uses a good high fill on it wash...Dont know the model.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

... have to look pretty hard to find a top loader that uses the amount of water you are used to

http://appliantology...ect#entry259912

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 NathanK

NathanK

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the speedy response KI.

What baffles me is how this machine is so highly rated? I feel like either mine MUST be malfunctioning in a fixable way, or it is operator error (too small a load).

Unfortunately I bought this to be stacked along with a GE dryer, which works great. I don't have enough room to do side-by-side, so if I return this unit for something else it pretty much has to be the same size so I can stack it, and it has to be a front loader.

#5 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Nathan, the government came in and told the appliance world they were here to help. Your new washing machine uses less engery than your previous one. It uses less engery, by using less water. Using less water doesn't always mean cleaner cloths.

The same thing is and will be happening to your automobile soon enough also. You will get better fuel mileage, but may need to make more trips, due to HP restrictions, to haul the same amount of materials.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

... will be happening to your automobile soon enough also. You will get better fuel mileage ...

you may get worse fuel mileage,

but the emissions will be cleaner

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

If these regulations keep up we'll all be working on iceboxes, scrub boards and clotheslines.  I do remember a wooden hand cranked washer.  It was made from an old apple barrel that had what looked like a wooden milkstool under the lid that served as an agitator.  Real high tech stuff but worked. 

#8 NathanK

NathanK

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Ok so politics aside what I'm gathering is that most new washers just don't work as well as old ones do. If I were to return this washer and get a different high efficiency front loader, I'd probably be just as dissatisfied as I am with this current one.

So I might as well keep this one and just be prepared to occasionally have to pre soak especially dirty items.

#9 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Yep...make sure you are using HE detergent as well in the proper amounts. presoak and extra rinse are options iI would consider using as well.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

some of the LG front load washers have

"Water Plus"

"Pre Wash"

"Extra Rinse"

"Tub Clean"

options

#11 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

If your washer has a clean cycle or delicate cycle it fills with more water on those cycles. I've never heard of clothes not getting washed good in a front loader because of the lower water levels, or even a top loader for that matter, provided that they are getting used correctly. It's usually perception. Also I would never do a bath may in any washing machine, replaced way too many pumps in them because of those mats. They are cheep enough to beat with a broom until you throw them away and buy more, the washer on the other hand isn't.

Edited by Spannerwrench, 31 July 2013 - 01:16 PM.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics