Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire FWT449GFS2 front loader spins out of balance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pubprof

pubprof

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I have a Frigidaire front-loading washer that is spinning as if the drum is out of balance. I tried shutting it off and re-arranging the clothes but it still shakes like crazy. Any thoughts?

BTW, is there a "search" function for the forum? I couldn't find one...

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Might be a damaged spinner support where the shaft attaches to the rear of the inner basket.  Initial symptoms would be a clicking noise during spin that would graduate to a much louder noise with use.  Eventually this will damage the rear bearing which is part of the outer tub assembly.  You can check this by opening the door and pushing up on the front lip of the inner basket.  If the basket can be moved up and feels loose then it will have to be replaced.  If the rear bearing has been damaged the rear outer tub will have to be replaced.  Oh, there is a search field at the top of each forum/topic.

Edited by PDuff, 30 July 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#3 pubprof

pubprof

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thanks. I can lift the front of the drum up about 1/2". It feels like I'm scraping something as I let it down. It's kind of hard to describe. I ran the machine through a spin cycle with the drum empty and it seemed to spin just fine at low speed. Once it went to high speed it started making a racket. It didn't seem unbalanced; just noisy and some excess vibration. Is replacement of the spinner support a difficult job?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Undoubtedly either bad bearings or broken drum support spider.  Here's another example of how this manifests:

#5 pubprof

pubprof

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

Ugh. So, if I were to repair it, is this what I need? http://www.repaircli...mber=FWT449GFS2

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

That would be one of the items you may need. The inner tub with the bearing and outer tub too.... But this advice is coming from someone who hasn't done this job on front loaders due to cost restrictions. It's typically the kiss o death for these machines.

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Double check the warranty information in your use and care guide.  If any parts are covered under a limited warranty they will listed there but an authorized servicer would have to do the repair.  Might help to make an informed decision on whether to repair or replace.

#8 pubprof

pubprof

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

PDuff,

Great suggestion. I checked my warranty and it states "Limited 2nd-25th Year Warranty - Replacement part for an inner wash basket that breaks due to a defect in materials or workmanship". Does this failure (from the little that you know from my descriptions) sound like it might be covered by the warranty? Just looking for an opinion before I speak with Frigidaire...

Thanks again.

#9 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

the basket would be covered but you would have to pay for an authorized service to come out and most professionals will want to replace the rear tub as well which is not under warrenty, depending how much it banged around before you stopped it you may need a front tub as well

#10 pubprof

pubprof

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

sh2sh2,

Thanks for the information. It's always good to have a little information in hand before discussing with the factory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics