Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite 790.48089000 oven - need a silly little light bulb

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BillHammer

BillHammer

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

The halogen 2-pin light bulb inside my oven blew out. Got out the owners manual, they say 1) take off the glass cover 2) pull out the blown lamp 3) pop in a new lamp. done. What they don't say is what to use for a replacement, except for a stamp on the glass cover that says "use 120v lamps only". Ya, and? What wattage, what style, etc..?

Made the mistake of calling Sears Parts. Do not ever do this. They only have the entire assembly, with the glass cover, the housing, the socket, a lamp, the pigtail to plug it in. I don't need any of that (for $80), just the friggin little light bulb inside. They say, well, we don't sell that ..

Where can I get that just the lamp and what kind is it? I will buy it from you if you have it, but all I can find on your site is the whole assembly as well.

Aaarghh..

Thanks,

Bill, annoyed at my Sears purchase decision yet again.. (Even though Electrolux made the oven so I thought it would be decent.)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

This question was raised in another thread, the lamp is only sold as an assembly by Frigidaire, the OEM. But toward the end of this thread, the resolution seems to be a 40 Watt - G9 base - 120 Volt - JCD shape bulb:

http://appliantology...b-790-41003604/

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#3 BillHammer

BillHammer

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Awesome. I was able to get the glass cover off and remove the lamp. Filament is split in half so I'm not even going to bother checking for voltage at the socket base. I'm sure it's fine.

Lamp printing is clear as a bell and says 120v 25w, and with your pin base info I can find these online. They seem to be a few bucks each, plus a little more for shipping. Will buy a handful.

The G9 base seems to come in a few flavors of how they loop the leads exactly, and mine is different in that the loop is kinked in the middle, then bends back in but it's the only loop style I see at all. For $10 bucks I can't go wrong getting some to test.

Looked around for frigidaire lamps on the lighting sites, didn't find any. Mine is "more" their Electrolux sibling but their listings are straight pin bases anyway.

Thanks again, you have saved the day! Feel free to be true to your Samurai heritage and attack Sears, the masses will bow and throw money.

#4 BillHammer

BillHammer

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

One last follow up, I have sources. Amazon has a box of 10 lamps, with shipping it's about $18.Search for "CBConcept Brand Halogen Light Bulb JCD G9 120Volt 25Watt - 10 Bulbs ". It even says in the part listing "fits Kenmore Elite Ovens". Also, Lowes has it. Never would have thought so but they have a whole section of oddball mini-halogens. The cost is $6.50 for 1 lamp.

I hope we can spread the word to hasten the arrival of that fine day when no one ever has to call Sears for anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics