Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GSS20IEPAWW SxS fridge with resistant wiring harness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

To the Dojo,

I have addressed the original customer complaints: no evaporator fan, finding a burnt out single-barrel heater inside the evaporator compartment. Fired the fridge back up; fans, but no compressor.

Pulled compressor cover, and felt no compressor activity. Back at the board, I measured 120 VAC with connections at the compressor/line circuit; no such voltage down at said compressor. Relay and overload both had enough resistance to be a problem; also, and the reason for my query, the wiring harness for the compressor and water valve has resistance in both line and neutral lines.

This isn't the first GE muthaboard fridge I have found with current-resistanct wiring. Does anyone in the Dojo know the part number for the wiring harness? Am I looking at rewiring that area? Is anyone, particularly Brother Durham, finding similar problems in the field? Critical comments and snide remarks welcome; after all, I'm marrying a redhead.

Thanks in advance,

Tyrus

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Did ya actually pull the board and check for the startlingly common cold solder joint failure on the compressor relay? Had 2 this week alone...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

You go there for fan not working in freezer and change heater and then evaporator fans works which is unrelated.Sounds like bad board to me and possible bad evap.fan motor.

#4 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Heater bad by inspection AND meter; no PCMing on this one. Thermistor and evap fan found defective using GE component values in Samurai's oh-so-valuable inclusive muthaboard service pack.

Don't know anything about cold solder failure; do tell, and illustrate.

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics