Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
RedToryTy

GE GSS20IEPAWW SxS fridge with resistant wiring harness

4 posts in this topic

To the Dojo,

I have addressed the original customer complaints: no evaporator fan, finding a burnt out single-barrel heater inside the evaporator compartment. Fired the fridge back up; fans, but no compressor.

Pulled compressor cover, and felt no compressor activity. Back at the board, I measured 120 VAC with connections at the compressor/line circuit; no such voltage down at said compressor. Relay and overload both had enough resistance to be a problem; also, and the reason for my query, the wiring harness for the compressor and water valve has resistance in both line and neutral lines.

This isn't the first GE muthaboard fridge I have found with current-resistanct wiring. Does anyone in the Dojo know the part number for the wiring harness? Am I looking at rewiring that area? Is anyone, particularly Brother Durham, finding similar problems in the field? Critical comments and snide remarks welcome; after all, I'm marrying a redhead.

Thanks in advance,

Tyrus

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Did ya actually pull the board and check for the startlingly common cold solder joint failure on the compressor relay? Had 2 this week alone...

You go there for fan not working in freezer and change heater and then evaporator fans works which is unrelated.Sounds like bad board to me and possible bad evap.fan motor.

Heater bad by inspection AND meter; no PCMing on this one. Thermistor and evap fan found defective using GE component values in Samurai's oh-so-valuable inclusive muthaboard service pack.

Don't know anything about cold solder failure; do tell, and illustrate.