Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer WHRE5550K1WW not spinning or agitating

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DR109

DR109

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hey gang,,,need a little help.  Out washing machine stopped spinning out and the wife says its no agitating either.  I hear a hum when its supposed to be spinning but I don't know if thats just the pump for the drain or what.  My wife says she can hear the the motor agitating but I haven't been around.

So to me it sounds like a belt.  I haven't taken it apart yet as I have to find those instructions somewhere here still.  Feel free to point me :)  Sound like I'm on the right track or should I try something easier 1st....assuming the belt is a pain to replace..'

Thanks in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DR109

DR109

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

scratch the belt thought.  I took off the fron and the belt is fine.  Drum spins freely.  May lid switch I will check next.

#3 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

If it's not the lid switch you'll need to test the motor.

Here's a little nugget I found that RegUs had posted on the same issue previously.

gallery_4_5_76764.png

Test

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

That is not the correct test for this washer. Here is the correct one. There are at least 5 different motor/inverters for the Hydrowave models that use different communications voltages.

Eric

GEHydrowaveMotorTest.jpg

Edited by fairbank56, 01 August 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#5 DR109

DR109

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Lid Switch is good.  I'm getting ready to run these tests listed here but noticed a flashing LED.  1st of all All the flashing LED stuff is not obvious where to look.  I noticed this on top of the motor on the board above and behind C4.  FOr some reason I thought the LED flashing was behind the control panel.

ANyhow..it flashes 6 times, stops, flashes 6 times, stops, 6, etc.  According to the folded service paper from behind the control panel 6 flashes says locked rotor.  The drum spins freely, belt, pulley etc all move very freely.  What do you think?

#6 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

unplug the washer, wait 20 seconds, plug washer, after plugging the washer in open and close the lid 6 times within 15 seconds, you don't have to go the whole way just like 2 inches, this will reset the motor, the led should be 1 sec on 1 sec off, if the code comes back right away you need a new motor inverter.

Edited by sh2sh2, 01 August 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#7 DR109

DR109

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

unplug the washer, wait 20 seconds, plug washer, after plugging the washer in open and close the lid 6 times within 15 seconds, you don't have to go the whole way just like 2 inches, this will reset the motor, the led should be 1 sec on 1 sec off, if the code comes back right away you need a new motor inverter.

DId as you said and it reset with the 1 sec on 1 sec off.  I went ahead and tried to run it in spin and it eventually came back to 6 on, pause, 6 on, etc.  Did the reset again and it 1 sec, 1 sec off.  Stumped.  Guess I'll go check those voltages from above.

#8 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

time for a new motor inverter

#9 DR109

DR109

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

motor inventer....as in its all 1 assembly, as in drive motor right?  as in $239 right?

#10 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

yes,

sorry

#11 DR109

DR109

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Found my post where you guys helped me trouble shoot my last washing machine July 7 2009....  Same thing motor died.  It was 8-9 years old and with the motor, the belt,etc I decided to replace it with this one.  Now I get only 4 years out of it.....crazy.  See the issue is I work in another division of this manufacturer so we get employee discounts....and they entice to buy plus its all the 'good for the company, shareholders, etc, rah rah rah but I've had it with our appliances.  Going to look at a different brand this time.  Just doesn;t make sense to spend that much on a motor at half of what I paid for the machine.

As always...you guys rock and appreciate the help!

#12 DR109

DR109

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

as a final update to this thread.....I bought a Maytag Bravos XL on Saturday and my wife loves it!  I sneek in the laundry room whens it dark and marvel at the lights all lit up like an airiliner dahboard....lol.  Oh.....10 years on the motor is what sold me.  I;m sure other things will break but 10 years on what went on my last 2 in 4 years kinda had me at hello.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics