Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Making Movies or "YouTube killed the radio star"

video movies youtube service calls

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

Most of the regulars here at Appliantology know about my YouTube channel where I make videos of problems I encounter on service calls and show how to fix them.  It's good to see other Brethren starting to make similar videos, notably Brothers Strathy and Durham.  

Videos are a great way to not only convey information but to let your Brethren in The Craft watch you in action and put a voice, maybe even a face with your Appliantology username and posts in the forums.  

It's really pretty easy to make videos and upload them to YouTube.  It just takes a little time.  What I want to do here is share how I make videos to de-mystify for folks who have no idea how to do it.  

If you're currently making videos, like Brothers Durham and Strathy, I hope you'll chime in on this topic with some of the tools and tips you use.  

How the Samurai Makes Videos

I use an iPhone so I'm totally in the Apple orchard.  There are pros and cons to that but, for me, it's almost all pro because I'm not a computer geek-- I use the computer as a tool to do real world stuff.  As such, I don't want to spend a lot of time learning to use a tool or getting it to do what it's supposed to.  And Apple excels at making stuff dummy-proof, that's why I like and use their stuff.  

I shoot the videos using the built-in Camera app.  There are lots of fancy-schmancy video camera apps out there.  I've tried a few and found that, for my uses, they're too complicated, in some cases buggy, and just a waste of money.  The built-in Camera app is rock solid stable and has the distinct advantage of one-touch deployment as soon as you wake up your phone.  

Right now, I'm not using a tripod.  Although I've purchased a couple of small portable tripods, I've just found them inconvenient or awkward to use.  I know my videos suffer from a lot of shakiness and distracting movement.  Still refining my technique there.

I do all the editing and production on my iPhone using the iMovie app.  It's a snap to use and has amazing features with a very short learning curve.  After playing with iMovie for about 10 minutes, I had fully mastered it.  It lets me do soundtracks, voice-overs, bring in photos, Ken Burns effects, and captions.  

After the video is all done and the way I like it, I upload it directly to YouTube from within the iMovie app.  

I'd love to hear some of the devices and software that others use.  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

I have a Nikon camera.  Is there any information about how to produce a video or an editing tool for the windows PC.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#3 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

I have a Nikon camera.  Is there any information about how to produce a video or an editing tool for the windows PC

:whistling: http://store.apple.com/us/mac

#4 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

I have a Nikon camera.  Is there any information about how to produce a video or an editing tool for the windows PC.

Upload the video to YouTube and use their editor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics