Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid fridge. KBRC36FKS02. Sporadic temp problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

About 7/8 months ago, i replaced the computer and both food/freezer thermistor, cleaned the condenser, checked all functions, cool, good to go.

About a month ago, customer called back, food section in the high 40's, im thinking it was a defrost problem, the customer said he defrosted it, and it was working fine, so i didnt go out, but told him that if it was a defrost problem he would have the same problem 4-6 weeks.

Got a call yesterday, food section high 40s again. So i went out, defrost if good, but there are large gaps (1/4" a 3/8") space at both the top left/right of food gasket, and about 1/8" in freezer gasket. There was a bunch of condensation on the control panel, obviously from the gaskets.

I tried to reseat the gaskets as much as i could, but the gaps were pretty big, and i didnt want to melt it.

The gasket should probably be replaced but its one where the liner looks like its embedded onto the door.

Is the gasket avail separately?

If so, how the hell do you remove the old one and get the new one on?

Or do you have to buy the whole door?

If everything else is functioning properly, do you think the gasket would cause the temp fluctuations?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Make absolutely sure nothing is blocking the doors from closing, 1/4" to 3/8" is not caused by bad gaskets. I have been out behind many services who have replaced gaskets, hinges, cams and even door finally to give up. Every time something has been blocking the doors.
Examples of what I've seen.
Door bins not in the correct location.
Shelves not fully in place.
Cans or food packages blocking the shelves from going back all the way.
Air fresheners, that hang from a suction cup, installed to where the door liner hits it on the hinge side.

Very rare, but I have seen a few unit installed so badly that one of the rear corners wasn't even touching the ground. So after sitting for a few years the entire box twisted and caused huge gaps in the doors.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Yea man, i checked all that, the gaskets are just really bad, i know its kinda weird.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Sounds like you have a FIP, (Foamed-In-Place), door liner.   I've only had to replace a door gasket on a FIP door one time and probably will not every do it again.

You have to cut the old gasket in four places, (in the middle on each side), and carefully pull the gasket lip straight out from under the plastic liner, being careful not to pull up and break the liner away from the foam.

They you have to make sure the channel is clear of any remaining foam particles with a putty knife about 1/2" in all the way around.

Then the you have to get the new gasket installed, this was the nightmare part.   Says to insert opposite diagonal corners first then other two diagonal corners.   First two-no problem, third corner-no problem, forth corner -  OHHH!!!!! What B!TCH!!!!! It was a real fight to get it to stretch out enough without tearing the gasket to get it over and under the lips of the liner.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Ok, before i try to switch out the gasket, do you think this is causing the temp problems?

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Concur with Brother Willie on the gasket replacement.  Attempt only as a last resort.  I think if you follow the instruction sheets on those they want you to remove the door to replace the gasket.  Brother Spanner's dead on as well.  Unlevel unit, door bin in wrong location or failure of the door to close properly-warm air intrusion is the root cause.  Do whatever you can to adjust the existing gaskets. 

#7 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Do you need to use some type of sealant or silicone on the gasket? I read something about clips??

#8 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

I still don't see how a gasket could be a 1/4" to 3/8" off. It would have to be missing the magnet and most of the rubber. My money is still on something else causing the doors not to close fully. Most likely it's something simple that will make you fell stupid.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#9 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Span, I've had that happen quite a few times, so I know what your talking about. From what I can tell it looks like the gasket was sagging or being pulled down and it rolled the top corners down, it's pretty weird man, it's only the top left/right corners where the problem is. As far as I can tell the door is closing, no obstructions.

Besides the gasket, is there anything else that could affect the temp that much?

#10 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

There are other possible causes of temperature fluctuation but if the gaskets are bad you have to address that first. FIP gasket aren't that bad to do. The relaceent gaskets have a had plastic edge that snaps into channel between liner and door panel. After removing the old gaskets I put silicone caulking where the new gasket will snap into the liner. Two problems with FIP door gasket replacement:
1. If you don't put adhesive the gasket tend to slide, especially on the hinge side where the door cams constantly slide up and down
2. The gaskets often come in too small and need to be stretched, I've done plenty that go on no problem and I have had a lot that seem about 1/4 too short.
Basically the original gaskets are better and should only be changed if there are significant tears, splits or missing magnets.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,587 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

The gaps caused by your gasket are probably causing the damper or return ports to be covered with frozen condensation. Make sure to check that after you repair the gaps.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#12 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

EPIC FAILURE!!!

So I went back to replace the food gasket, and I wish I never did!!

As I was pulling off the old gasket I noticed that there were 3 screws drilled through the liner, don't think that's how it came out the factory!!

I shoulda stopped right there, but no!  I plowed through it.

The corners of the new gasket have a little separation, and as I was stretching the gasket to get it on, it ripped quite a bit, no biggie, installed the rest of the gasket.

After I got it installed, It looked just like the gasket I took off, the top right/left corners were being pulled down a bit, and there was no way that it was gonna seal to the frame.

So I got heat gun happy and burned so many damn holes in the gasket, it looked like Swiss cheese!!

So, I just had to call it quits and tell the customer of what an epic failure this was, as I tried to maintain some type of dignity for myself.

Spannerwrench was right, there was definitely something going on besides the gasket being bad.

My guess is that the previous owner had screwed the liner down keep it steady, but it just messed everything up , and it caused the top of the gasket to pull down.

I probably wont do another FIP gasket if I can help it!!

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Installing the foamed-in-place refrigerator door gaskets used on some Whirlpool and Kitchenaid models: A War Story

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 04 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Brother Willie shares his battle-scarred experience with replacing these types of refrigerator door gaskets. To summarize in a word: DON'T. Or, if you must because you're a professional Appliantologist, make sure you charge a lot for the job.

But Brothers PDuff and JJ Surfer offer these consoling words of wisdom:

Source: Kitchenaid fridge. KBRC36F...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics