Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool WTW5640XW0 Washer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

My Washer will not SPIN!!! Please HELP.... If I turn the knob to drain & Spin, it will drain, but when it gets to the spin mode, the "Lid Lock" light begins flashing and never does spin. Could it be the "Lid Lock" switch? If I press the power button and the start buttons at the same time, I get ALL the lights and an 88 for the time remaining. What do I do next? The manual doesn't tell me crap!

Help Quickly...The laundry is piling up...

Chris in Michigan

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Suspect a failed shift actuator...if ya wanna try some diagnostic testing...remove the 4 1/4" screw holding the top deck (from the back) and move the top forward and then lift, to access the TECH SHEET taped inside the front left of the casing.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Found the Techbook! How confusing is this! I think I cleared all the faults...STILL no spin. Same problem...blinking "LidLock" light...NO SPIN....HELP!!

#4 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

When doing a manual test mode for "LOW SPIN" I cant get a "Lid Lock" light! Therefore I cant do this test....Do you think it is the "Lid Lock" switch is bad? PLEASE!!!  HELP

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

If it agitates, the lid lock is ok. The no spin and flashing lid lock indicator are symptoms of a faulty shift actuator which is a very high failure item with this washer. What were the fault codes?

Also, tilt the machine back, remove the belt guard and check for a loose nut on the larger pulley.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 03 August 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#6 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

F7 Fault...Where is the best place to buy a shift actuator? Cheapest? Is it easy to change? Thanks for all your help!! PLEASE

#7 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

There are 4 characters in the fault codes, F7 alone isn't enough although problems with the shifter are F7 codes but so are motor problems. Only buy genuine Whirlpool parts, don't buy from ebay or amazon. The shift actuator is easy to replace. Access is from bottom of machine.

http://www.repaircli...0006355/1719787

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 03 August 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#8 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

When i tipped the machine, i found a black rubber condensor looking thing that had gotten hot and had a curly plastic thing coming from it. What is this black plastic/ rubber part? The pulley is tight. Fairbank56, are you on facebook? Can we chat? Please help!!

#9 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Upload a photo of it.

#10 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Where can i find a diagram/picture of underneath this machine? I am currently at work. I will post picture when i get home.

#11 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

http://verticalmodularwasher.com/

#12 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

How do I post a photo?

#13 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

It is the run capacitor, where can I find the cheapest price? Pt.# 10278117

#14 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

The part number is W10278117. Do not buy appliance parts from ebay or amazon. Repairclinic is currently out of stock. Suggest you buy from here. You will have the part the next day with 1 year return policy.

Part number: AP4539703

Part number: AP4539703

Eric

#15 tondebste

tondebste

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Do you think that this is my only issue? this capacitor has gotten hot and expanded a little. Should I also purchase a shift actuator? Thanks Eric!!

#16 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I don't know, you never said if it agitates or not or if you checked for the loose nut. If it agitates, the motor is working regardless of the bad capacitor. Just replace the capacitor for now and check for the loose nut while your under there. You must perform the calibration function after you replace the capacitor.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics