Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung Dryer DV350AEW/XAA auto dry not working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lieblweb

Lieblweb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Linenkugal Berry Weiss

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Greetings!!

So, first off.... We bought this dryer only 3 years ago, so its out of warranty.  Who purchases those extended warranties?

Well...I wished I would've!!!

I always use the Normal setting, high heat, auto dry.... it  supposed to shut off when it senses the clothes are dry.   Just yesterday, it stopped running after 10 (or so) minutes and has done this a few times since (inconsistantly).  I always clean the filter every time.  We checked the duct work and cleaned things up a bit.  Cleaned the sensor strips (they weren't really dirty at all..??). 

When I first turn on the dryer, it'll show 42 minutes on the dial (like it always does).  I never really stood there long enough to see if the time changes drastically (or not).  Currently, I'm trying the 'more dry' setting to see if anything changes.

I would assume this is 'sensor' related....??  But I honestly don't know......  Getting this thing out to diagnose is going to be a PITA. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time!! Loved this dryer....until now.  Why can't things last anymore?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Sensor Bar Touch Data Mode
How to Enter:
Power on dryer, open door and press in door switch.
Start dryer tumbling. Press Temp + Signal for 3 sec.
Touch both sensor bars with wet cloth, sensor hit numbers show in display.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

If your model has a timed dry cycle try using it, see if it completes a cycle without any fault codes.  Sounds like a moisture sensor issue but if the operating thermistor is bad it may display a "TS" (I think) fault.

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Can you use the diagnostics to recover past error codes?
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:22 AM

If moisture sensor checks ok then main control is at fault. I've replaced a few main controls for this issue(moisture sensors are simple and therefor reliable)

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

I would replace the thermistor, it may opening or shorting after running a while. Or, it may just be out of spec enough to confuse the CPU. And, You may want to replace the belt. I find a lot of Samsung dryers that have a frayed or broken belt when only a couple years old.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,851 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

I would replace the thermistor, it may opening or shorting after running a while. Or, it may just be out of spec enough to confuse the CPU. And, You may want to replace the belt. I find a lot of Samsung dryers that have a frayed or broken belt when only a couple years old.

Thermistor:  http://www.repaircli...Number=DV350AEW

Thermistor-DC32-00007A-01308116.jpg

#8 Lieblweb

Lieblweb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Awesome and THANK YOU!!  I was a little busy yesterday and didn't have a chance to work with the dryer.

I have printed out all your responses and should have time today to do some troubleshooting! 

#9 Lieblweb

Lieblweb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Performed the diagnostics procedure (for the most part). After going into that mode, a "0" showed on the display.  I proceeded to put the wet towel on both the sensor bars.   Nothing happened. The display still said "0".    I pressed 'Signal' again and got a 178.  I"m not sure what that number means..... so I just hit 'Signal' again and it was back to "0" again.

I clean the lint filter out every load, but we thought we should check the entire outlet pipe. Dragged the dryer out and pulled all the hoses. They looked pretty good. Cleaned everything up anyway....  most of it was built-up just below the filter screen AFTER the filter. There's 1/8" gap between the screen mechanism and the housing...where a lot of the air can go through without passing the screen.    Design flaw??  Or is there some upgraded filter screen I need to buy to get rid of this gap?

But anyway...since everything looked pretty clean, I'm not convinced this helped the issue.  Time to run some laundry and troubleshoot some more. 

#10 Lieblweb

Lieblweb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

Just an update & questions:

Haven't done much laundry since - there's only my husband and I.

This little problem is sporadic.  One time it'll shut off and the next time it won't - so its hard to figure out. I'm still only getting "0" for codes.

Question:  Does this dryer sense the 'weight' in the drum?  And/or if the load is too wet or heavy?

I've never noticed any changes in wetness in the clothes I put in it.....

Question:  Does this dryer sense the temperature is too hot inside?  If yes, will it shut off if it gets too hot/moist?

This is a Samsung Dryer DV350AEW/XAA.  I always use the AUTO cycle on 'high' heat setting. 

Since this is so sporadic.....every other load so far.....  I'll just have to wait for the time when it'll do it 'all the time'.

Based on the questions above - wondering if I should make my loads slightly smaller and if that would change anything?

I believe I'm putting the proper amount in the washer - per instructions - and have owned front loader machines for about 10 years...??   

Thanks again!!

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Reading material:)...

The complaint was identical:

"Laundry doesn't always dry" (and the vent system was ruled-out)

The responses were similar:

"Avoid small loads in dryers that have/use MOISTURE SENSORS"

or...

"For small loads---use the TIME DRY cycle"

There is a solution---and it's a very simple one.

Some years back---I had an older lady (widow)---that contacted us regarding her LG dryer.
Her complaint was that the laundry was not dry at the end of the cycle.
Also---the cycle run time/duration was rather short (cycle ended far earlier than initial time displayed).

In her case---she does not wash/dry large loads at all---and rarely does she even have medium sized loads to wash.

On LG dryers---the MOISTURE SENSOR ("bars") are located at the front of the dryer---on the LINT FILTER HOUSING.

If the dryer is dead-level---which hers was---a small load of laundry will tumble in the GIANT DRUM and very erratically come into contact with the MOISTURE SENSOR.

By raising the REAR LEVELING LEGS about an inch---this forced the tumbling small load of laundry to remain at the *front* of the dryer---continually falling/contacting the MOISTURE SENSOR.

On dryers (other brands) in which the sensors are positioned at the rear/back of the drum---simply raise the *front* leveling legs to get the same result.

Technicians can demonstrate to the customer by running the dryer with 2 or 3 small pieces of clothing---laundry will either tumble at the rear of the drum or near the center (in an LG dryer--for example).

Explain to the customer---the MOISTURE SENSORs function and that wet/damp laundry *must* continually come into contact with the sensor (show the customer the location of the sensor).

After adjusting the legs---the customer/owner will notice the laundry moving toward the SENSOR location within 30 seconds of starting the cycle---and remain at that location in the drum for the duration of the cycle.

Dry laundry.

Problem solved smile.png

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#12 Lieblweb

Lieblweb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Reading material:)...

The complaint was identical:

"Laundry doesn't always dry" (and the vent system was ruled-out)

The responses were similar:

"Avoid small loads in dryers that have/use MOISTURE SENSORS"

or...

"For small loads---use the TIME DRY cycle"

There is a solution---and it's a very simple one.

Some years back---I had an older lady (widow)---that contacted us regarding her LG dryer.
Her complaint was that the laundry was not dry at the end of the cycle.
Also---the cycle run time/duration was rather short (cycle ended far earlier than initial time displayed).

In her case---she does not wash/dry large loads at all---and rarely does she even have medium sized loads to wash.

On LG dryers---the MOISTURE SENSOR ("bars") are located at the front of the dryer---on the LINT FILTER HOUSING.

If the dryer is dead-level---which hers was---a small load of laundry will tumble in the GIANT DRUM and very erratically come into contact with the MOISTURE SENSOR.

By raising the REAR LEVELING LEGS about an inch---this forced the tumbling small load of laundry to remain at the *front* of the dryer---continually falling/contacting the MOISTURE SENSOR.

On dryers (other brands) in which the sensors are positioned at the rear/back of the drum---simply raise the *front* leveling legs to get the same result.

Technicians can demonstrate to the customer by running the dryer with 2 or 3 small pieces of clothing---laundry will either tumble at the rear of the drum or near the center (in an LG dryer--for example).

Explain to the customer---the MOISTURE SENSORs function and that wet/damp laundry *must* continually come into contact with the sensor (show the customer the location of the sensor).

After adjusting the legs---the customer/owner will notice the laundry moving toward the SENSOR location within 30 seconds of starting the cycle---and remain at that location in the drum for the duration of the cycle.

Dry laundry.

Problem solved smile.png

That makes a lot of sense.... however,  I've run this dryer for 3 years without needing to prop up the legs and I almost always run full loads.

It might be something to 'experiment' with to see what happens to rule out/in the sensors themselves. 

I'd be concerned with the drum spinning 'off level' and creating wear/tear on the mechanics from a slight wobble in the drum.

(I work with machinery and only obvious I think this way ;) )

#13 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

<<<I'd be concerned with the drum spinning 'off level' and creating wear/tear on the mechanics from a slight wobble in the drum.>>>

The "wear & tear" would be negligible.

Dryer drum rotates at low RPM.

One to two inch lift (at the rear of the dryer) will not adversely affect dryer longevity/service life:)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Dryer Auto Dry cycle not working - a simple fix using the Dean's Method

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 06 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Most dryers have an Auto Dry cycle where it sense the dryness of the clothes and adjusts the cycle time accordingly. Sometimes, clothes will stop drying properly on the Auto Dry cycle but still dry normally on the Timed Dry cycle. Brother john63, the Dean of LG Appliantology, has developed a simple procedure to correct this problem and it works on all b...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics