Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

YORK H2RC042S06B condenser unit R-22 system

rolandvz71

compressor making a noise

gauge readings

Low Side 65psi  ---pegged out

HIGH side 90-95psi    110-118psi

When quite Low side is 65psi and HIGH side is 110-118psi indoor temp @ air register is  83F

When LOUD Low side is PEGGED out and HIGH side is 90-95psi indoor temp @ air register is 88F

Quite and LOUD compressor running cycles

Quite running about 1.2 minutes

LOUD running 15-20 seconds

I have my EPA cert to handle and buy R-22

I dont do this for a living so I maybe missing something so simple any suggestions.......?

Edited by rolandvz71

Is the evaporator coil icing up?
Is the condenser fan and evaporator fans both running up to speed?

Are indoor and outdoor coils clean and free of restrictions?
Is the compressor capacitor reading full mfd?

Are the wires on the contactor in good condition?

Low side is only slightly low.

High side should be closer to 225psi.

Does this system use a TXV or orifice distribution?

If TXV the bulb may be out of position and needs remounting and re-insulating.

Is the evaporator coil icing up? Dont know need to check....but only time I ever seen evap ice up is cause of a dirty filter....is there more causes for a iced up evap?
Is the condenser fan and evaporator fans both running up to speed? Cond fan is running up to speed and evap fan seems to be blowing good as well

Are indoor and outdoor coils clean and free of restrictions? outdoor yes -- indoor I would have to open plenum box....something I have no exp in doing.
Is the compressor capacitor reading full mfd? Dont know need to check...... is it possible for a cap to be bad and the compressor to run??

Are the wires on the contactor in good condition? yes--- no burned ends and connections are tight fitting also has new contatcor motor starter installed

Low side is only slightly low.

High side should be closer to 225psi. On R-22 I thought high side was ambient air temp plus 30psi....is that wrong?

Does this system use a TXV or orifice distribution? orifice

If TXV the bulb may be out of position and needs remounting and re-insulating.

Could the compressor be laying down?

Suction line NOT sweating and NOT cold to the touch.

Top of the compressor not sweating as well

Edited by rolandvz71

After reading your post again regarding the "quiet" then "loud" compressor noise, I believe your problem is compressor related.

The 15-20 second loud sound is the compressor trying to switch from start to run.

The 1 minute quiet sound is the open overload.

Remove the terminal cover on the compressor and check the wires.

The red run wire may be damaged.

In any event I think your run winding is bad.

You know I spoke to a friend of a friend who does this for a living and he too thinks it may be the compressor.......he seems to think it may be the internal piston on the high side in the compressor.....Am I saying that right??? 

He said the suction was good but the fluctuating discharge from never getting over 90-118psi has him convinced its a bad piston in the compressor

And now I'm reading a run winding my be bad?

I did a ohm test on all the windings and the sum of the windings added to the highest reading......

I'm leaning more to a mechanically problem VS an electrical problem.

Unit is 10 years old and from what  hear that is about the time these things go bad.....nothing is made to last 20-25 years any more.....just like washers and dryers and every other major appliance in our homes unless made back in the early 80's and prior.

Having a tech come out today and check it out......may just wind up installing a new condenser.....we talked about sizing up a 1/2 ton to a 4 ton unit.

Will keep ya posted!

Edited by rolandvz71

I was also told that there maybe failure in the reed valve area......

Well had the a tech come and and verify it was the compressor.......so unit was 10 year old.....might as well and bit the bullet and get a new condensing unit....I sized up from 3.5 to 4 ton.

You might want to check for temperature drop after the drier filter. It may be clogged. Just a quick thought.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check for temperature drop after the drier filter. It may be clogged. Just a quick thought.

I did not.....the compressor was getting louder and louder.....inside temp as reaching 90-92 degrees inside my home.

I had to act.....so I fig 10 years on a condenser was about right now days.....sprung for a new one....I will keep the filter direr

in mind for next time or for any of my neighbor friends since we all have the same type units.

Thx for the suggestion!