Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAV7200AWQ loud noise and end of spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trentrb211

trentrb211

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:steinlager

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

At the end of spin cycle there is a loud valiant screeching noise.  I figure it has something to do with the break.  It has been doing this for quit a while and finally taking the time to look into it.  Any help or suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 trentrb211

trentrb211

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

I have pulled the front panel off and have looked under the bottom side of the washer.  All looks to be normal and the belt turns freely in both directions.  Not sure where the break is unless it is under the tub.  Is it necessary  to pull the tub out to get to the break?

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

This is a very common problem with these washers. Either live with the squeel or replace the brake rotor. Access is from bottom of machine although we generally replace the snubber ring as well which requires removing the whole tub assembly. Brake rotor is under 200lbs of spring pressure and there is a special tool for taking the brake apart but there is another method. To get to the brake, you must remove the pulley and thrust washer. Then remove two screws from brake stator. Replace with 1 1/2" 10-24 screws. Now remove all the other screws and then slowly back off the 10-24 screws a little at a time each until spring pressure is relieved. Now you can clean the stator and replace the rotor.

http://www.repaircli...Number=21002010

Eric

#4 trentrb211

trentrb211

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

This is a very common problem with these washers. Either live with the squeel or replace the brake rotor. Access is from bottom of machine although we generally replace the snubber ring as well which requires removing the whole tub assembly. Brake rotor is under 200lbs of spring pressure and there is a special tool for taking the brake apart but there is another method. To get to the brake, you must remove the pulley and thrust washer. Then remove two screws from brake stator. Replace with 1 1/2" 10-24 screws. Now remove all the other screws and then slowly back off the 10-24 screws a little at a time each until spring pressure is relieved. Now you can clean the stator and replace the rotor.

http://www.repaircli...Number=21002010

Eric

Thanks Eric,  doesn't sound like that bad of a job to do.  Where could I find a parts list or assembly sheet?

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

http://click.linksyn...mav7200awq.html

https://secured.whir...tlantis_III.pdf

#6 trentrb211

trentrb211

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Thank you  and will reply back if I have any other questions or when job is well done :thumbsup:

#7 trentrb211

trentrb211

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Well my time has been limited and then I had to order the spring removal tool.  Didn't want to bleed all over the place.  But job well done and it wasn't that bad of a job.  Thank you gentlemen for all your help. :pint1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics