Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

mpm8789

Whirlpool Calypso Washer

9 posts in this topic

Model GVW9959kq

So I have a calypso washer that doesnt complete the cycle customer says it gets down to 4 mins then goes back up to 6 mins and doesn't spin out the clothes.  When I run the spin test the washer spins but not at full speed it spins kind of slow.  The motor ohmed out fine.  So I figured it was probably a board isssue and changed both control boards.  That didn't help.  So Iwas wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be.

Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Bearing failure? Is there any sighns if leaking underneath?

Did you try taking the pump apart and checking for debris? If there's a coin or excess lint built up on impeller it won't drain enough to satisfy the pressure switch therefor it won't go into high speed spin. Make sure it doesnt have the old plastic style pump on it if it does you'll have to replace it with the new style. Part #1058894 which is a pump and motor assembly.

Calypso's are notorious for draining issues.  Pumps have been revised as Brother phydeauxe indicated but also check the lint/button trap at the bottom rear of outer tub for restrictions.

there was some water underneath but I will check the pump

In my opinion, unless it's a pump problem, these washers belong in the garbage.

could be wear in the u-joint and locker assembly. If the basket doesn't lock in spin position, the tub will go out of balance, and the control can end the cycle