Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
bmmc

whirlpool m#gs5shaxnb

5 posts in this topic

compressor will run for 10 seconds & shut off. if I remove relay & jumper compressor,it  will continue to run.compressor wires come off of electronic control module.i suspect relay but not sure control module might be the culprit.what thinks the techs?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Test for voltage to the compressor when it turns off to eliminate the control, test current draw from the compressor to eliminate as bad compressor. If both tests are good, replace the relay and overload.

Probably has the third choice (TSD) style on as the current bad one, these seem to fail where they don't drop the start winding out and keep actually running the compressor for 10-12 seconds every couple minutes every time the overload cools down and resets.

From what I've seen of this newer TSD style start relay I would do everything possible to stay away from using them as a replacement.

What do others here think?  My thinking is constantly running the compressor on the start and run winding for 10-12 seconds every couple of minutes would be much harder on the windings then just energizing the run windings and not actually starting the compressor motor turning, (locked rotor), then tripping the overload would be easier on the compressor, (not overheating the the more delicate start windings?).

Gotta go with Willie on this one.  I remember a rash of these TSD's failing a few years back on the Kenmore and Frigidaire units.  Would replace with original start device on a COD call that would eventually turn into a warranty compressor replacement (Still 5 year warranty at the time) for locked rotors.