Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

icemaker won't stop filling. water overflows, no ice.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hello.  I have a Frigidaire fridge, model FRT21LRGW5.  The icemaker is M1 SA8868.  The water fills the icemaker and overflows into the container.  It won't stop filling, and it won't make ice.  I had to turn off the water to the icemaker to stop it.  whassup?  thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Turn the water back on and unplug the frig and see if the water still flows.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,716 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

if the water still flows as per spannerwrench's suggestion, replace the valve. If the water stops flowing when the fridge is unplugged, replace the icemaker

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

you guys are great! when i turned the water on and unpugged the fridge, the water did not flow.  However, let me clarify that the gears were not turning in either case (water off or on, unplugged or plugged).  I turned the gear, and it started going around, and the bar raised and lowered once or twice, but then the gears/bar stopped moving.  Does that sound like i need a new icemaker?  thanks again.  

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

... the bar raised and lowered once or twice, 

twice ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

yes.  the gears were not turning at all, so i turned it manually to give it a jumpstart, and it turned for a few minutes.  the bar went up and down (I think twice), and then it stopped moving.  should the gears be moving even if the water is turned off? thanks again!

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,716 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

Yes, the ice maker will still "harvest" without water. Sounds like your icemaker is constantly calling for water.... apparently the gears are jammed/ broken and the timing is off. Icemaker is kaput.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

that's what I was afraid of.  thanks for the verification!!!  I see where RepairClinic sells Frigidaire icemakers but how I know which one I need?  

Thanks again!!!

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

... Someone is selling one on ebay,

...  How do I know which one I need?

1) http://appliantology...amazon-or-ebay/

2) is there a part number on your IceMaker ?

post pictures (somewhere)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info.  I am trying to disconnect the icemaker.  The screws are out, but I can't get it out.  The hose from the back of the fridge has what I think is a "harness" with four wires that goes into a plastic thing that looks like it plugs into the icemaker.  I took a picture, but I don't see where I can attach it here.  

the part is model#M1 SA8868.  before and after the SA8868 is something that looks like .5U.  Under that it says 121499.

#11 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

what i'm trying to say is that I can't tell where the icemaker should detach from the hose.  i think the plastic thing with wires is part of the hose, and the plastic thing it goes into is part of the icemaker.  i have tried to wiggle them apart with a pliers, and they won't give.  am i doing it right? 

#12 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Post a picture to a photo sharing website and then post a link here.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

The wire harness for the icemaker has a plastic sheath and does not disconnect from the icemaker.  The connector plug at the other end may have been pushed through the evaporator cover.  Remove the center air tower and screws from the cover.  Pull the cover forward from the top but be careful, there's not a lot of slack in the wire harness going to the evaporator fan motor and icemaker.  Should be a molex plug for the entire harness that can be disconnected from the rear wall above the evaporator.  After that, all should be revealed.

#14 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Here's the icemaker showing the front with the label, the side where the hose connects and the connector that I'm trying to disconnect.  Is this where it should disconnect?  What do I need to do to disconnect it?  thanks again!!

http://www1.snapfish..._NAME=snapfish/

#15 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Dear PDuff, 

I greatly appreciate your help, but I don't have a clue what to do. I am so sorry!!!   What is the evaporator cover?  Where is the center air tower?  What cover am I pulling forward from the top?  What is a molex plug?  Are you talking about the front part where the gears are?  There is that front piece with the gears, and there is the back piece with the "fingers" that the ice goes through.  The connector I took the picture of connects to the tube that goes out behind the freezer.  Thanks!!!!

#16 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

one more thing -  if you're telling me to unscrew the face plate, it says to disconnect the power cord before removing.  Does that mean unplug the refrigerator?  

#17 Springer

Springer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Thanks to all who helped me.  I got the answers I needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics