Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana refrig

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hoagie1

hoagie1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have an amana model # 36791 but everyone says that's not a model # so I have to give them the Mfg. # P1152601 ww. The condenser coils keep on icing up. I am using a blow dryer on them every three or four days. I thought it was the defrost thermistor, hoping it wasn't the defrost heater, so I replaced it, to no avail. Still doing it. I can't check for voltage at the heater because I can't put it into defrost mode. I tried the light switch thing, by switching it on and off five times. But that didn't work. Is there another method? Now you are going to say it's the circuit board. I don't think it is. I have 9 volts ac to the defrost heater. But I don't know if it is in the defrost mode or not. It does cycle, but doesn't defrost. I can't find anything on the energy saving switch, and it seems th be tied in to the defrost heater.  WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:46 AM

That heater would need 120 volts ac to defrost. If your getting 9 volts, the relay on the defrost  control board is probably bad. I'm not familiar with this specific model, but many can be tested by using a mechanical defrost timer.

Check all the connections, and test to see if your heater is bad(got a meter?)

You may just have to buy youself a new defrost control

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 hoagie1

hoagie1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I do have a meter. I ohmed out the heater and got like 30 ohms so I think it is good. but the nine volts I was getting is not a true reading because It is not in defrost mode. Do you know how to put it in defrost mode? It might not be a bad idea to put a mechanical timer on it, is it easy to wire up?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:40 AM

[user=612]hoagie1[/user] wrote:

Do you know how to put it in defrost mode?

Open the beer compartment door and press the light switch five times within six seconds to initiate defrost.  If the board does not respond, replace the board. See this page for more information.

#5 hoagie1

hoagie1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

Posted Image

Thank you exaulted one. I was not convinced that it was the board, but when you said after hitting  the light switch five times if it does not respond, it is the board, you convinced me. I traced the problem to a relay on the board. I jumped it out and it is defrosting. I will replace the board and immediately go to the house of woes and await my punishment. 

Posted Image

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:53 AM

[user=612]hoagie1[/user] wrote:

... and immediately go to the house of woes and await my punishment. 

Punishment for what?  You found the problem.  Nice shootin', Hoss!  :armed:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics