Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GSH25JFXB CC Fridge not cooling

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jawnskeel

Jawnskeel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

We've gone threw a slew of issues with this refrigerator recently. It was all fine and dandy for a few years. The first problem was everything in our fridge was freezing. Repairman came out 3 times and couldn't fix the issue. He said he changed all of the thermometers, I'm not sure if I believe it. It finally started working a week after he "repaired" it which lead me to believe that it just started working out of the blue again, not due to the competency of the repairman.

That was all great until a few weeks later, the fridge was not cooling enough. The temps in the fridge sat around 55-60 at all times. Food spoiled before we noticed. We shut it off for 24 hours and turned it back on, and it worked fine for another week. This time, I removed the cover on the coils in the freezer and used a hair dryer to make sure it was all melted because it looked like a giant block of ice. Fast forward to now, and once again the fridge won't cool properly again. I haven't checked the coils again yet, but could this information be enough to point me in the right direction to fix this thing?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

may be a Defrost problem

would need to post pictures (somewhere) of the Freezer Evaporator Coil frost pattern.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Jawnskeel

Jawnskeel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

may be a Defrost problem

would need to post pictures (somewhere) of the Freezer Evaporator Coil frost pattern.

It has only been a week or so since I defrosted with the hair dryer. I'll be posting a picture of it later today.

#4 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

Defrost the coil and remove the heater at the bottom. Test it for continuity with a VOM...if its open, its bad. Very common.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,400 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Defrost the coil and remove the heater at the bottom. Test it for continuity with a VOM...if its open, its bad. Very common.

Defrost heater:  http://www.repaircli...ber=GSH25JFXBCC

Defrost-Heater-Assembly-WR51X10055-00910

#6 Jawnskeel

Jawnskeel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

There were solid chunks of ice once again. Popped out the defrost heater, tested for continuity as best I could (numbers weren't changing, but didn't test the multimeter on anything else). Ordered a replacement and will be installing soon. In the meantime, I once again blowdried all of the ice off, and there was literally as much made in about a week as there was from the last time I did it. 

I decided to turn it back on because it works initially for about a week before the ice builds up.

Also, when I flipped the defrost heater over, a bunch of black soot came out. Not sure what that was all about.

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Replacing the heater should cure all.  GE has been using glass tube defrost heaters for years but earlier models had two heaters on the evaporator, one on the bottom and one in the middle.  To reduce energy (or cost) they went to the single heater which has to work harder to accomplish a proper defrost.  Therefore, the heaters fail more often.

#8 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

Double heater should be more reliable as they are in series with each other and getting 60 volts each.

#9 Jawnskeel

Jawnskeel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Installed replacement heater, temperatures hold steady (no more freezing or not cooling in the refrigerator. freezer has always been good). Thanks for the recommendation and easy fix!

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

Way to go Jawnskell and thanks for posting the update!

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#11 Jawnskeel

Jawnskeel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

So folks, I thought the annoyances were over. However, two weeks ago the refrigerator froze again! I had it set to the highest possible temperature setting for the refrigerator and mid level for the freezer. I decided to set both to 0 for a few hours. Did that, turned it back on and everything was fine and dandy until the refrigerator froze once more!

After reviewing the invoices I got from the previous repairman, he changed out the temperature sensors on the appliance. I switched out the heater for a new one and that hasn't fixed the issue.

Any thoughts?

#12 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

First 2 letters of the Serial Number (determines the manufacturing date)? Also, look at the thermistors they replaced. Is the end where the wires go in black? He used old stock. Did he use silicon filled crimped cap connectors to connect the wires? Lots of possibilities...

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

...  I'll be posting a picture of it later today.

also, was the MotherBoard ever changed ?

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

So your ff section is too cold? then check your damper for proper operation , if fine, replace your ff thermistor. If problem continues, replace mainboard.

btw, keep your fridge controls at normal settings for proper operation and diagnosis. Changing them too often will confuse you, us, and the fridge.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#15 Jawnskeel

Jawnskeel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

The freezer has been making this noise. I've uploaded a video in which you can hear the odd sound.

#16 prairiestr

prairiestr

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Jack

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

I cant tell if that is a fan motor noise or damper motor?
Kinda sounds like a power problem, perhaps main control board?

#17 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

may be a Defrost problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics