Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Jawnskeel

GE GSH25JFXB CC Fridge not cooling

17 posts in this topic

We've gone threw a slew of issues with this refrigerator recently. It was all fine and dandy for a few years. The first problem was everything in our fridge was freezing. Repairman came out 3 times and couldn't fix the issue. He said he changed all of the thermometers, I'm not sure if I believe it. It finally started working a week after he "repaired" it which lead me to believe that it just started working out of the blue again, not due to the competency of the repairman.

That was all great until a few weeks later, the fridge was not cooling enough. The temps in the fridge sat around 55-60 at all times. Food spoiled before we noticed. We shut it off for 24 hours and turned it back on, and it worked fine for another week. This time, I removed the cover on the coils in the freezer and used a hair dryer to make sure it was all melted because it looked like a giant block of ice. Fast forward to now, and once again the fridge won't cool properly again. I haven't checked the coils again yet, but could this information be enough to point me in the right direction to fix this thing?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

may be a Defrost problem

would need to post pictures (somewhere) of the Freezer Evaporator Coil frost pattern.

may be a Defrost problem

would need to post pictures (somewhere) of the Freezer Evaporator Coil frost pattern.

It has only been a week or so since I defrosted with the hair dryer. I'll be posting a picture of it later today.

Defrost the coil and remove the heater at the bottom. Test it for continuity with a VOM...if its open, its bad. Very common.

There were solid chunks of ice once again. Popped out the defrost heater, tested for continuity as best I could (numbers weren't changing, but didn't test the multimeter on anything else). Ordered a replacement and will be installing soon. In the meantime, I once again blowdried all of the ice off, and there was literally as much made in about a week as there was from the last time I did it. 

I decided to turn it back on because it works initially for about a week before the ice builds up.

Also, when I flipped the defrost heater over, a bunch of black soot came out. Not sure what that was all about.

Replacing the heater should cure all.  GE has been using glass tube defrost heaters for years but earlier models had two heaters on the evaporator, one on the bottom and one in the middle.  To reduce energy (or cost) they went to the single heater which has to work harder to accomplish a proper defrost.  Therefore, the heaters fail more often.

Double heater should be more reliable as they are in series with each other and getting 60 volts each.

Installed replacement heater, temperatures hold steady (no more freezing or not cooling in the refrigerator. freezer has always been good). Thanks for the recommendation and easy fix!

Way to go Jawnskell and thanks for posting the update!

So folks, I thought the annoyances were over. However, two weeks ago the refrigerator froze again! I had it set to the highest possible temperature setting for the refrigerator and mid level for the freezer. I decided to set both to 0 for a few hours. Did that, turned it back on and everything was fine and dandy until the refrigerator froze once more!

After reviewing the invoices I got from the previous repairman, he changed out the temperature sensors on the appliance. I switched out the heater for a new one and that hasn't fixed the issue.

Any thoughts?

First 2 letters of the Serial Number (determines the manufacturing date)? Also, look at the thermistors they replaced. Is the end where the wires go in black? He used old stock. Did he use silicon filled crimped cap connectors to connect the wires? Lots of possibilities...

...  I'll be posting a picture of it later today.

also, was the MotherBoard ever changed ?

So your ff section is too cold? then check your damper for proper operation , if fine, replace your ff thermistor. If problem continues, replace mainboard.

btw, keep your fridge controls at normal settings for proper operation and diagnosis. Changing them too often will confuse you, us, and the fridge.

The freezer has been making this noise. I've uploaded a video in which you can hear the odd sound.

I cant tell if that is a fan motor noise or damper motor?

Kinda sounds like a power problem, perhaps main control board?

may be a Defrost problem