Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet (basic) front loader rotation problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dawgfish

dawgfish

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have a Duet front loader basic model with out the display. It's Model WFW9150WW00. When I started working on it, it would fill properly, the motor would run and the drum would turn both ways. It would drain and turn a little faster but not spin at higher speeds. I ran diagnostics and did basic testing using volt-ohm meter. Everything checked out and my only conclusion was the Motor Control Unit (MCU). Put in new MCU and now it starts to turn and then stops. All other functions still ok. Put old MCU back in and still turns once or twice slowly then stops rotating, but water and drain continue to work. Is this the tachometer on the motor or something else?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

During diagnostics, were you able to retrieve any fault codes?

#3 dawgfish

dawgfish

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

No fault codes at any point in time. Mind you with the "no display" model I have, it's a matter of listening to the beeps and watching the LED for flashes. But, still, no faults at all.

#4 dawgfish

dawgfish

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

I'm still fighting with this. I have swapped out the MCU and the motor. Washer will agitate back and forth, drain and shift to a slightly higher speed (I'm thinking the slowest spin) but will not shft to medium or high speed spin. Can anyone offer ideas?

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Seems like something's telling the control not to engage the high speed spin.  Double check the filter at the drain pump for any restriction.  Standard pressure switch used for water level control.  Check pressure hose for damage from rubbing against the outer tub.

#6 dawgfish

dawgfish

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Nothing in the filter. Drains quickly. Do I understand you to say that the pressure switch could be letting it reach the slow spin but not advance beyond? Is there just the one pressure switch for all water levels?

#7 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Isn't there some models you need the front and back panel on in order to get it into high speed spin?

#8 dawgfish

dawgfish

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Front and back panels are on with same results. The switches on the panels tested OK, but I will double check them. There is nothing blocking the water-level pressure tube, and it appears to work as water levels are achieved properly.

#9 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Open the door and push up on the basket and check for slop in the tub bearing.  Is it making any unusual noises during spin with a load of clothes in it?

#10 dawgfish

dawgfish

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

No slop. No noise. Does not spin really. The fastest it rotates is just slightly faster than the normal wash speed, which is what I would call a "distribution speed". I worked on commercial laundry equipment years ago, and that's what we called it with the machines I worked on then.

#11 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

The tach function for the motor is in the MCU.  Check the connectors to make sure no damaged/bent contacts and check applicable harness for chaffing, etc.

#12 dawgfish

dawgfish

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

OK, to reiterate some, I have swapped out the MCU with a brand new one. I swapped out the motor and harness with used and supposedly working ones. I believe the used motor and harness currently installed are ok becuase I was having a slightly different problem before replacing the motor. The previous problem was the basket would turn just slightly and then stop abruptly. Testing the tach revealed somewhat unstable ohm readings and seemed pretty clear to be a tach problem. That problem actually showed up after I started troubleshooting. Now I'm back to the original problem as stated, it won't spin at higher speeds.

To add another test result, continuity testing of the water pressure/level switch indicates it is working properly.

#13 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

The tach readings readings should be stable when there is no motor movement. Your used motor could be faulty. What are the ohm readings of the windings and tachometer?

#14 dawgfish

dawgfish

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

No offense, but I seem to be re-stating things.

There is no issue with the motor. There was, but that has been replaced.

The MCU has been replace.

The pressure switch has been checked.

The panel switches seem to be ok.

Drum rotates both directions, water drains completely and quickly, and drum spins slightly faster but won't spin high speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics